Our World Tuesday: Educating for the 21st Century

A friend once commented to me that she was tired of having fuzzing knowledge about things; she said she wanted to know what was what, to call things by name. I thought of her and felt the same way when I came upon this little chapel in Kinston, North Carolina, the other day.
From August 5, 2012
So I stopped by and read the signs. This little chapel, I learned, was the site of the Confederate's last line of defense in the Battle of Kinston December 13 - 14, 1862. Union General John G. Foster's division was working on cutting off General Robert E. Lee's supply lines from Wilmington.
From August 5, 2012
The church on this site at the time was part of the Confederate's defense and is referred to in journals of the time as Harriet's Chapel. It was used as a hospital during the battle. This church actually came from about eight miles away but was moved in 2010 as an interpretive tool. (This I find just a bit confusing. "The church that is sitting here is not the church that was sitting here that was very important....") On both sides of this important road are two tobacco warehouses.
From August 5, 2012
From August 5, 2012
/center> At the corner are the Hardees and the gas station and the hotel....The Civil War peeking over the shoulder of the chain restaurants and gas stations rubbing against the mainstays of the economy around here--corn, tobacco, seafood--comprise the 21st century world we're educating our kids for. The same world often keeps some of them out of school in the early weeks because they have to work on the boat or in the fields.
From July 9, 2012
It's good to know where we are. No more fuzzy knowledge about who we are and where. 

Our World Tuesday

Post a Comment

28 Comments

  1. i know who, I know where, but Why? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am confused just reading this about the chapel. Hmmmmm I need to go back to school. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. an interesting mix, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:05 AM

    Wonderful old church! I love learning the history of where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with imac! I know who, and where, but WHY??? Interesting post and great shots of the little building! I'm glad it was saved even if it was moved -- we really do need to preserve our history but we seem to be better at tearing down than we are at preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this piece quite a bit...the tobacco warehouses especially touched me as I went with my grandfather to the warehouses as a child. He was a tobacco farmer for many years...the Chapel story is a bit confusing but the Chapel itself is a work of art...thanks for sharing
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great captures of the church, interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lovely little church!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful that you stopped to find out. it is always interesting to see old buildings and we often wonder what went on in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the brief history lesson. Great photo of the old church.

    ReplyDelete
  12. life can be confusing....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's an interesting juxtaposition of the past and present there. We humans do have a great need to classify, to identify ... but as I get older I am losing that need...now I'm happy to just see a beautiful bird or flower. I used to run for the books to see what exactly it was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. History gets rewritten and illustrated with what is convenient. And current life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoyable post, Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love knowing about things as well.
    It is interesting to know about the chapel. Who walked there, who prayed there, who hid there but I am sure it has a lot more to tell than we will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful shoots of the place and interesting history.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your colorful last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your photos and your narrative. I think it's good practice to know things by name (and/or details). It forces us to pause and actually learn something rather than skim over the surface of things as we go through life. In that vein I'm finally reading a book about Israel (It's Easier to Get to Heaven than the End of the Street).

    ReplyDelete
  20. An interesting find. You are right to look around and find out a little of the history of buildings we so often just pass by. It can make for an interesting new pespective on the local neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think our posts are about the same thing - knowing where you are by looking at what you see rather than looking at what your prior ideas brought with you.

    Well maybe!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post ~ great photos ~ yes, the unknown is nearly always unsettling ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post ~ great photos ~ yes, the unknown is nearly always unsettling ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting post..and nice images to go with.Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting. It is good to be
    clear, not fuzzy. I like your investigative nature.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Told from such an interesting perspective! I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting, I am one of those that is always looking for context and connections to other areas and other times.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sandy, NC has so many such small landmarks, marking the civil war. There is also the Bennett Place in Durham, where I took all my visitors, when I lived there. Hope you get to see it one day too.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.