(Wordless for Some People) Wednesday: Pelicans are my Dudes



From June 3, 2012
From June 3, 2012
From June 3, 2012
From June 3, 2012
From June 3, 2012

I know: bad photos and not exactly new to here. How many times can she take the same photos and call them different? 

Answers: I could take essentially the same photos from now until doomsday and not feel the slightest inkling of "something's wrong with me."  My best friends attribute this to some form of mental illness identified with three capital letters. My mere acquaintances (whom I actually like better) don't attribute it to anything more than the fact that I like pelicans. 

In fact, I adore pelicans.  They are to me in North Carolina what Canada geese are to me in Connecticut. Because these guys smile like the bird that ate the cat that ate the canary--because they just might have. 

These modest photos actually represent a small success for me with my new Canon PowerShot that I take everywhere. (I am a firm believer in carrying a Canon PowerShot everywhere and at all times. For myself. You do what you want.) Dealing with the glare on the viewfinder, which reflects a sadly unflattering and aging image of myself, I find it hard sometimes to know what is on the other side of the lens. Then there's the matter of shooting from a distance without the people in front of me thinking you I am shooting them. I am sensitive to this because I don't want to be the subject of--or the symbol of existential isolation or some other suicide-inducing thought in--someone else's photo. In short, I am not interested in intruding on others with my camera unless those others have feathers or are Andy Pettitte, which is the subject of another post entirely. 

I just love these birds because they love life. That the birds are in the frames at all means I am getting somewhere with this new little camera that I have dropped on the ground twice without causing any damage.  (Canon rocks, my friends.)  

These birds love life.  I know they do. They told me so (when you were smiling for some other camera.)

Post a Comment

21 Comments

  1. I love them!! What fun captures of those beautiful birds! What would we do without our Canon PowerShots???? I'm sure you and I have more fun than most! How lucky we are! Hope you're having a great week -- it does look like you are!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat, these pelicans. I totally understand your passion to photograph them. I feel that way about many creatures. And I also understand your love for the PowerShot. I had one before my DSLR and I loved that camera (even though it eventually. stopped recognizing that batteries were fully charged). ;)

    Pelicans, Canon.. the combination.. perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animals in motion are always a challenge - even my cat. So getting birds in flight is always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post in thoughts, words, camera advice, AND yes pics!




    Aloha from Waikiki,
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pelicans are no where near here so I find them fabulous!! So unique!
    Great shots and good for you carrying your camera with you. I do too!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canon rocks! I definitely agree. I'm a Canon lady, too :)

    It's great to see pelicans in your photos. I don't think we have pelicans here in my side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, pelicans are not all fun and games! a friend of mine was attacked by a pelican while fishing. guess they wanted the same fish...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I find peculiar about this page of photos is th word 'WORDLESS'. Fun photos. I carry my PS Cannon everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. shoot away and don't feel guilty....lol! you need to but a simple hood sun shane for your view finder lcd screen at camera shops. They are inexpensive about $15 at most camera stores. see http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Hood-Sun-Shade-Screen-Protector-Nikon-D3100-D5100-D7000-/350534601944?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DMRU-625%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D320758764120%26ps%3D54

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whenever I'm near the ocean, I can watch them fly and play eternally. I think your dudes are really cool. Keep taking the photos even if some think it's a redundant activity. I could take pictures of my dogs all day and still enjoy the capture of their cuteness in a particular segment of time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fun to read of your love affair, with birds and your camera....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your words and attitude made me smile. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a very good job of capturing these pelicans at work (or play, as the case may be).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful and serene sequence, Sandy! I also have a Canon PowerShot: an excellent camera indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the first time in my life, I saw pelicans in Brisbane, Australia. I was so close to them because the guide gave me some fishes to feed the hungry pelicans. They were awesome birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The same problem I had with my Canon Powershot, just as Hilary's. It stopped recognizing the fully charged batteries. I can understand your passion to photograph them, how many times I have been through that same phase. :)
    Happy clicking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pelicans are cool.

    I carry my powershot everywhere, literally. I got a new ipod touch with a camera so I'm going crazy on Instagram and Hipstamatic. But the powershot is just as small and takes better pics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen those brown pelicans in "real life." We get the white pelicans during the summer on the river here in River City. They nest some distance for here; it
    mostly the on-breeding birds who hang around the city.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sandy, I love your sense of humor and your "devil may care" attitude! I am like you in that I try to cut humans out of my photos! I am more interested in the landscape and the birds! Besides, pelicans against the sky speak to something primeval within us; flight, joy, and dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Sandy, another post I love, I really enjoy the optimism in it. And the sentence love life resonates with me. I too love when someone or something loves life.
    Thnak you also for these incredible pictures that bring back memories of North Carolina shores, I too recall watching pelicans at the beach.
    Enjoy life dear Sandy, with your pals pelicans.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous5:42 AM

    the beach looks great.. its makes me feel calm when I look at it.


    michigan web design

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.