Skywatch Friday: On a Wing



From June 8, 2012
Sunset slips off the edge of the wing that brought me along the second leg of my trip to Connecticut last week. I was in Charlotte in a plane that was shaped very much like a long cigarette. When the grandma sitting behind me with her three grandson said for the world to hear that she was having a panic attack, I had to laugh at myself. She was saying what I wasn't. The little girl sitting with her dad across the aisle from me so enjoyed the view and the city lights that magically became Christmas lights as we climbed into the night was so happy--she was giggling and clapping--that I decided there and then to catch myself on and enjoy the damned flight even if it killed me. And I did even though it didn't.    
From May 26, 2012
Sunsets back at the ranch these days are looking a lot like this one over the Intracoastal. Talking with some colleagues this week about how we came to be in this area, I learned that we agree this view and the sounds of the ocean (which, I've come to realize, is an onomatopoeia word) are why.

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. Love the wing shot!! And the sunset is gorgeous!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful to live in such an area with the beauty and peaceful sounds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I hate to fly too. But glad you decided to enjoy.

    I do love sunsets and this shot def justifies your choice to be in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shot from the plane and the sunset is gorgeous! I use to love to fly, but not anymore, the planes are SO crowded and there's so little leg room! And you can't count on getting window seat! Hope your week is going well, Sandy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. you well evoke the magic (and fears) of flying, Sandy.

    Yes, now you are a seasider sister!



    Aloha from Waikiki,
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    > < } } (°>

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images, what a stunning shot of the wing.;) And that evening sky makes me miss my old views...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent picture out of the plane !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful the image of the wing and great sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great capture of the light reflecting off the wings. A rare moment, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:27 AM

    Lovely sunset here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post, Ann. Both shots are absolutely beautiful and I really related to your commentary. So nice to see that the child's enthusiasm caught and held your attention. Children and high school students have taught me a lot that I continue to appreciate, even though retired. And yes, I never thought of it before but "ocean" is indeed onomatopoeia.. thank you!

    I used to fly in a small plane with a pilot friend, and thought it was great. Then, after reading a Life magazine article with survivors' accounts of a plane crash, I developed quite a fear. Only lately, when flying from Vancouver to Ottawa to visit my sister, I decided to start taking photographs. Now, at least in good weather, I can even say I look forward to flying for the amazing views.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool pics, and you made me use google , and then I had to noodle a little bit on the sunset on the east coast until I thought about the intracoastal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.