One Single Impression: Waiting


To fill the waiting time
Between the dialing and the answering,
The mother of one of my most placid students
Would play a spiritual song
About my getting in the groove
Putting my hands together
Praising Jesus
And feeling the spirit.

Thus,
Jesus the Sex Therapist
Occupied my time during the wait,
After which I would answer this woman
Who would begin the conversation with,
"OK, what he do now?"
With the predictable,
"Nothing.  That's why I am calling."

But I was a liar.
He did plenty:
He lifted weights, took his vitamins,
Painted,
Tended his garden,
Ran down the hall like a lunatic, and,
I am told,
Had sex with his girlfriend
In the bathroom,
Though I'm not sure which one.
(That got him a few days out-of-school suspension,
And more time in his garden.)

I hated making those calls.
I hated the wait time and feeling embarrassed
Somehow for being white and not having a groove
And anyhow having no truck with the Spirit
That keeps the time that
Makes the groove possible.
My hands were never together.

In the end, my student painted for me
A picture that captured the heart of all we read.
"It isn't done.  It won't ever be done," he said.
"Take a picture.  Email it to me.  Show me what won't be done,"
I said.

He painted for me a picture of hands
Reaching,
Eager to be held,
And a face that could have been
Anybody's,
And he went back to his garden.

He gave me what I was waiting for,
What would never be done,
What he found in his garden
And perhaps the bathroom.

He saved me the trouble
Of a phone call
And being alone with Jesus.
Leaving me free of guilt or shame or guile,
He gave me what would never be done.

One Single Impression

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. That is a pretty wild poem, I love it though, even if I'm not sure what it quite means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Great poem!!
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a powerful poem, sandy, great feelings, and thought-provoking one.

    loving your always profound poems!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:10 AM

    magical experience that goes beyond!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something very different from you Sandy...very strong feelings and emotions here..or are these tender.this is what makes the poem beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Powerful and excellent

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, what a beautiful poem. I feel I can see all the hope and wishes you have for this child. You see his gifts, unfinished. I join you in hoping that his journey to being "finished" is a good one.

    I really, really love this poem. You write with so much emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Power from mind to paper by pen, Brill - love it Sandy.

    Now posting Scottish Isles holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Leaving me free of guilt or shame or guile,
    He gave me what would never be done."

    So glad you got what would never be done!

    Most pass through many lives waiting for it.... searching in garden or bathroom.

    A beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It reminds me a lot of prose. There is so many scenes you construct with each verse which makes it so engaging and rich. Loved your unique take Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tension in the storytelling and the ultimate reconciliation with being unfinished. Beautiful and introspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.