One Single Impression: Transition


The only way around is through.
You've heard that one, right?
It's the roundabout way of saying

Deal with it.

Around is through.

Ha.

That old chestnut
Conjures for me
The image
Of a high school kid
At McDonald's pulling his
Drink
From the self-serve fountain,

And my waiting there
Watching him overfill the
Paper cup not really strong
Enough to tolerate the volume
Though this obvious fact is,

Nevertheless,

Lost one the thirsty one
Who overfills the cup.

I stand and watch, fascinated
By the sheen of the liquid
Held in delicately
By surface tension,
Those like molecules
Aware of how alone they are,
Clinging to themselves,
Refusing to go, to flow.

The child claps on the lid,
And the pink liquid
Dribbles down the cup,
Down his hand,
Into his sleeve,

Leaving a sticky place for me.

Around is through.

Breaking the tension,
We lap up all evidence of our folly,
Drink up, eat up, and go.

Around is through.

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. Ah those sticky places!

    Thoughtful sharing Sandy-



    Warm Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    >< } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully expressed.....!!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo true. I love that.
    Around is through.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a fan of the meniscus. That surface tension sagging ever so slightly from the edges of the test tube. And yet, the carbonated bubbles break through so easily. I guess I wouldn't mind being one of those bubbles. I liked your piece Sandy.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can't seem to steer clear of those "sticky places" can we? What a wonderful interpretation of this prompt Sandy. Life is just the way it is. I guess accepting the transitions and embracing them is what it's all about.

    Hugs, G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Around is serious work. Through is often up the creek :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'The only way around is through.'
    Beautiful interpretation of the Way to Live through the transitions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:22 AM

    prose and verse...well said!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a real poet, a fantastic one! I love your words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. surface tension in a poem. awesome. wonderfully used here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What comes to my mind as I complete the poem is - deal with it, those sticky situations, sticky places !

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a good and patient teacher, Sandy. That probably was embarassing for him. I hope he improves in a hurry.

    Although around is through it appears that over (the edge of the cup) is out.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.