Blog Your Blessings: Making the Team

Life is so rich and beautiful that I often forget how rich and beautiful it is. The blessings come one after another, even when they put me back in the gym.

Which they do because my daughter made her school's basketball team. So did three of her friends--including her best friend, who is my favorite among her friends, who has been her friend forever, who is the very best and not just because she eats my cooking and says nice things about it.

Making the team puts me back in the gym with yet another opportunity to learn what off-sides looks like as my daughter does her thing on the team. In hear early Parks & Rec days, she was a little ball handler who moved up and down the court like a confederate runner so that the girls who were brawny enough to score did. Nobody expected her to do anything, but she caught them not expecting anything every time, and away she went. I had bleacher butt, but it was fun.

As she took up art and other things, I thought my butt would be spared the bleachers. No such luck. It's a good thing for all of us. Now I don't have to wonder about what to do on the weekends, and she doesn't have to worry about being bored. My daughter and three of her friends have penetrated the inner sanctum of the cool girls. Cool will never be the same. Neither will my butt. But Della got what she wanted because she worked for it. The big change is feeling good. We'll take it.

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. Ah, I remember bleacher butt!! Hooray for you and Della! I'm cheering from Seattle!! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Enjoy your weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat blessing! Good luck to daughter and her team! Most of all, hope they just have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to enjoy those hours with bleacher butt. They too shall pass and you will look back and see that it was mostly fun. This post brings back many memories for me. I cried and said I wouldn't go to games when my son announced he was going to play ball. I hated sports. Ha... I became the biggest team supporter in the end. Good thing too since both my children enjoyed sports all through school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Della for making the team. Your butt will be fine.

    Son graduated from soccer years ago. At least basketball is an inside sport. Now I while away my late Saturday mornings at Improv practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's wonderful.. congrats to Della for making the team and for having such a supportive Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your daughter for making the team.;) My stepchildren all pay handball, that is the big game here in Europe.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! I know your butt doesn't mind one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. enjoy every minute! you are indeed blessed Sandy. Go Dell.....

    www.myreallifereviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats for making the team so Mom can have the best seat in the house lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like fun times except for the sore bottom...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:35 PM

    Congratulations to Della and her friends for making the team! They will grow in leaps and bounds, both in and out of the game.

    I couldn't abide sitting on the sidelines, so my daughter and I practice martial arts together, sparring and training our way toward 1st Degree Blackbelt in Taekwon-Do. I do sit in the stands, watching her play co-ed soccer... but then, I make her sit and watch me play on the Women's League. Fair's fair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Della and to your friends also!! That is great news!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to your daughter.
    It's empowering, this sports stuff.

    I hope you are enjoying the most spendid of Thanksgiving holidays Sandy.

    I am grateful for our paths crossing. That I know.

    My daughter that goes to school in the states is home for the break so that is bonus.

    deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.