Our World Tuesday: Patch Pockets, Mickey Mouse, Turtles




It was a big day for me and my daughter at the mall on Sunday. Actually, it was a big day for me. That's because, as we ascended to the first floor of Sears, that bastion of fashion foresightedness and enduring style (keyword: enduring), my eyes fell on a stadium coat, which could be loosely defined, because of its loose styling, as a parka, with patch pockets. Not so many months ago at a slightly (well, considerably) trendier mall here in the Nutmeg State, where we are all about style, I told my daughter that what appeared to be my lack of style was really a measure of my patience and understanding of that Newtonian principal of fashion and social dynamics as well as physics that what goes around comes around. I assured my child that when (there was no if in the conversation) patch pockets on plumb parkas come back in style, I will be right there on the cutting edge of fashion for the second time in let's just say a few decades. Coming up that escalator, my first thought was, "Wow. I thought I was joking." Still, I got over the shock long enough to get my daughter to stand alongside the evidence that I am a bloody fashion genius and smirk a little. Here is what's going into the baby book: 
From September 4, 2011
Look at that face long enough and you'll detect that she kind of gets a kick out of it when I am right. But we must move along--to the Fine Jewelry department of the same Sears, where we purchased Micky Mouse wrist watches we had admired at the Jacksonville, NC, store but did not purchase for the silly reasons that our feet hurt and we were very hungry. As luck would have it, they were on sale here as they had been there. Feast your eyes on these beauties. My daughter opted for the blingy one and suggested the one with the characters that go round and round and function as the second hand for me. I love it. I have been staring at it for hours trying to figure out some of the images. I am not old; the images are small! See what I mean: 
From September 4, 2011
We're fragile people; we wear out easily on these excursions. One leg of our shopping trip and we needed to stop for food. I had some darn fine sushi, and she had pizza. While we sat down to eat, we read this notice on the table: 
From September 4, 2011
I will honor all who were affected by 9/11 in these ways as well as by loving the people right in front of me. Even the jerks, because I know they're saying the same thing when they look at me. With all this in mind, I will do my best to fulfill my dreams, because 9/11 is a reminder like no other that we are here once and only for a little while. If we're going to make it good, we damn well better do it right now. I will give legs to my dreams, and I will remember to be patient, because some dreams move slowly. I will wear this pendant as a reminder to take it easy but to keep going: 
From September 4, 2011
I found this bit of faux diamond studded bling at one of my daughter's favorite shops, where the forever over 39 crowd can do little more than sit back and wonder how so many mannequins can be twisted into the most awkward of poses to flatter the most unlikely of clothing. I never would have thought Forever 21 had anything for me until Adella found this little turtle. I will wear it as a reminder that waiting and standing still and doing nothing are not the same thing. I will wear it to remember that dreams come true with patience. And the love of a good daughter.

Post a Comment

24 Comments

  1. By the time your daughter tires of her Mickey Mouse watch you will need those larger numbers. Then you can trade. tee hee... Patience is a key theme for life. Follow those dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her expression is priceless. Love that you captured it...a rarity LOL

    I love that jacket and may go down to Sears and get one. I buy most of my clothes at Goodwill because as long as it covers, it's fine with me. Never been one to do the fashion thing. I should, but do not even wear makeup! Take me as I am...or not.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get a chance to prove that I'm right in fashion every couple of decades. My wife chucks my treasures when I'm not looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how sweet to go shopping with your daughter and have so much fun...love your wrist watch and the turtle bling. good thoughts to start out a new week at home, almost over my jet lag and I can find my ankles again...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. Thanks for sharing this experience. As fate would have it, I have no daughter, would have liked one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful, delightful post, Sandy! And your daughter if beautiful -- love that grin!! Your post is also a reminder of the wonderful things in all our worlds that we frequently overlook. I did a little of the same thing for Our World this week! Have a wonderful day! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very refreshing post and pics Sandy,
    Sad,happy, moments too.
    Very thought provoking and powerful feelings.

    Congrats on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:28 PM

    What a precious daughter you have! And how great that you can wear your parka and be fashionable a second time around... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been blessed with a beautiful daughter Sandy.
    Sharing things with her be pure joy!
    :) have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet post! LUV the turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post! It's fabulous that the two of you enjoy shopping together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a wonderful post. I love the shot of your daughter. Fashion has never been my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's pretty and she has a resemblance of you.

    This holiday sale is the prelude to all the holiday sales coming.

    I bet you found some great buys!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The togetherness is the thing! Doesn't matter what you end up with really, but your "haul" looks pretty good to me. JC Penny and Ross for Less are my "fashion" go-tos ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The turtle is a perfect symbol for our shared sentiments about the importance of patience and dogged determination to move a goal from here to there. And should I ever dream that something old can become new again I would surely find it in my closet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, Sandy! I love the grin on your daughters face. I have been thru that look many times with my son. The Micky Mouse watches are cool, I would like to have one too. 9/11 is something I will never forget, the images are burnt into my head. You are lucky to have a daughter to shop with, my son is at the age he would rather go by himself. Great photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your daughter is adorable and, yes, I think she's secretly proud of her trendsetter mother.
    I also think your turtle is a perfect reminder to all of us.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely way to spend a day. My daughter and I have not shopped together for years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't it great when you can go on a real shopping expedition with your daughter? Mine has been away for almost 2 months teaching in your country. The nearest thing I get is going to the Saturday farmers' market with my eldest granddaughter.

    I love your little turtle as a reminder to be still and let the universe readjust the course of your life.

    I like your choice for lunch, danged if I can remember where in which shopping centre I had that delicious sushi . . .

    I will never forget 9/11, I saw it live on TV as it was happening in the middle of the night here. That and the assassination of Kennedy are a physical memory in the pit of my stomach. God help the world where such things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those Micky Mouse watch...

    Samson's Photoblog

    ReplyDelete
  21. THe turtle is very nice. :) very nice craftsmanship.

    Alexander
    Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

    ReplyDelete
  22. Precious mother daughter time. Cute captures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A truly beautiful post dear Sandy, your last paragraph is very touching...
    Love your daughters watch and your new turtle pendant.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Sandy :)

    I don't blog much these days but I make it a point to come visit your blog coz there's always a treat waiting. Thank you :)

    Seema

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.