Header Challenge: Space Race


Space Race as a proper noun refers to the competition between the US and the USSR during the Cold War to fly to the moon.  Being first would mean being smarter, stronger, mightier.  Exciting stuff.  And then the world went on.

To my way of thinking, space race as a common noun means finding some.  During the summer, the space race at the beach involves getting a decent spot for the blanket before the sand sculptors, hole diggers, and families with their tents/awnings/lawn chairs/bocce sets/fishing poles claim their quarter acre on land and in the water.  (We have to think of those mercenery sharks coming to shore for a free lunch even at the end of a measly hook, and we have to move along....)

I think this space race is best won at night, well after folks have packed up their junk and returned to the comfort of their couches and the familiarity of TV.  Then the beach is yours, the sky and the ocean are wide open to your dreams, and the cool sand seems happy to know you.  I took this soft, blue shot one evening very late when my daughter and I were out walking the perimeter of paradise one last time before bed.

Post a Comment

16 Comments

  1. A very nice night shot!
    I totally agree with you about going to the beach once everybody left it!
    Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my place and taking the time to comment;o)

    ***
    Have a nice and happy week****

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the Space Race, Cold War, etc--I rememeber those times well. "Walking the perimeter of paradise" -- what a lovely phrase.
    Nice post. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:34 PM

    Love the inky blue mood of this shot. Solitude and serenity. Thanks for posting it.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this night shot of the beach and ocean. I also like your definition of space race -- I can relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love that space before bed....



    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >



    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific post, gorgeous captures as always, Sandy! Those times are all too familiar to me and I remember them well! Enjoy your evening!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have painted a lovely picture of space with this post. I think your picture would also go well with the spirits of Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what an amusing post dear Sandy.;) Yes, I recognize that kind of space race.;)
    The image is simply enchanting.;) All that is missing is the silver moon.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm awed by your header and giggling at your post. "And the world went on" good stuff, yes, it did.

    Space race, common noun, very funny, and why it was a shame that this theme was this week and not next as I could most likely have had great shots of the "space race" at the campgound!

    I like your combination of the two concepts in one. Avoiding one to get the other! Have a good weekend, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the 2 photos for Space Race Sandy, early morn and late eve is the perfect time for being on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed we are in a race with our fellow inhabitants for space on this earth! I hope your space at Topsail is well after Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandy: What a neat post, interesting take on the race for space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good shot of the moon making an appearance from behind the clouds

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both the header this this photo are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice, Sandy, I like this picture!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.