Good Night, Irene


From After Hurricane Irene in Woodbury, Connecticut, August 28, 2011

Thanks to everyone who sent messages of concern as we stood in line to take our punishment from Hurricane Irene.  Though Irene claimed one life in Connecticut, her reputation had more of an impact than she did around here.  After lunch, the sun came out, and I went for a walk to see what was going on out there.  Our governor had closed the roads during the storm, and the feeling of being under house arrest (even for my own good) got to be onerous.  So out I went to discover lots of water.  The water that streams from our pond usually supplies the swamp across the road with just enough water to keep the pond lilies happy.  Today, the swamp got a little more than it bargained for.
From After Hurricane Irene in Woodbury, Connecticut, August 28, 2011
The roar of water flowing off the hill and into the pond that fed this wild stream had me fascinated.  I stood and watched until the stench of decaying organic matter stirred up by this raging stream got the best of me.  It was like low tide for landlubbers.  I noticed this wildflower doing its wildflower thing right over that water and thought, that's the way to be.  Everything will settle down.

Post a Comment

20 Comments

  1. Amazing, incredible and I'm so glad you and your daughter are safe along with Connecticut in general! Terrific captures!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught some raging waters. Good to hear you & yours were unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice water photos - and the stone bridge is beautiful. It's funny - I did a blogpost on "Goodnight Irene" last night. Run over and see it if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post after the storm Thrilled you are OK.


    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >



    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Irena go away without big problems for you...
    Regards from France,

    Pierre
    http://pierre-boyer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifully captured!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:44 PM

    Glad to hear you were spared too much storm fury.

    Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, I'm so glad you are OK after Hurricane Irene. A very beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you stay dry and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are okay! Sounds like the people of upstate NY and Vermont were not so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've watched or checked the news online from iceland with interest. this is a place for water and more water. it is now raining raining. only 3 more days here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are ok. Hurricanes are no fun, I lived through two - one direct hit when I was vacationing on St Thomas (hurricane Marylin) and one as a storm when I lived in NC (hurricane Fran). Both were very scary experiences.
    Thought of you yesterday as we took a walk on our beaches here. There was a storm brewing and I took some great pictures.;)) Will post them soon.;)
    Have a good Monday dear Sandy.;))
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos. Glad you're okay. We're fine too, though I have to say it was scary here in NYC.
    Madeleine Begun Kane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pleased you all are ok - was thinking about you my friend.

    Great shots of the rushing water, what a true photographer you are...

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just realised you live in Conneticut. I was there in July visiting a friend from my trip. I should have called in to see you! Glad you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you didn't have too many problems with Irene when she came to visit. Your pictures of your 'small' stream are fantastic. I haven't heard anything about Topsail in the news, so I hope it escaped major damage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear you are safe and sounds. Fantastic images.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you (literally) weathered the storm OK . I hadn't realized before you were located.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's some flow. I'm glad to hear that all was well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. scary isn't it
    Glad you are safe.
    and the picture is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.