Shot in the Head

“It was honestly a really good day – minus the fact that I got shot in the head.”

So said Petty Officer 2nd Class Jacob Emmott on July 14, when he was presented with his Silver Star award for “gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States.” This is the third highest award for valor in the US armed forces.

Emmott was shot in the head after “providing medical treatment for two Marines who were shot during a firefight in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in 2010,” according to the Marine Corps press release.

Emmott, a corpsman with 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, has me rethinking my idea of a tough day.


Post a Comment

12 Comments

  1. Their stories do indeed encourage us to take another look at all the things we're inclined to piss and moan about in our lives!! And asking oneself what we would have done in the same situation??? I'm not sure I want to know about myself! Great post for the day, Sandy, and a great reminder to pause and think! Have a wonderful day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, meant to tell you to check out the turtle in header on Costas' blog
    http://naturedigital.blogspot.com/. You'll love it! I did!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. We are so blessed. We really don't have bad days at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess at that moment it seems a bad time, until you see others a lot worse off than yourself.
    Nice post Sandy.
    Hope you come up with a goodie header my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I never have a "good" day like he did.

    Sorry I've been abscent from blogging. But glad, once again, to resume.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The header so perfect for this time of year

    ReplyDelete
  7. no kidding, we have so much to be thankful for. some people say one line and it could be the largest gift to the entire world, or anyone who considers them seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my God!
    People need bad days like a hole in the head. lol
    Good thing he is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These men (and women) truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing like a little reality check to put my problems in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these folks are infinitely superior to the stupid wars we task them with. a shame-



    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plenty of sand, but no water to cool your feet where he was. Indeed most of us do not know what a tough day is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.