My World Tuesday: It Never Gets Old

From Jul 19, 2011
I'm being a bore. I know I've posted many times about Wilmington, North Carolina. I just love that city, and so does Adella, so it was fun to bring her friend down to explore with us. I enjoyed trying to look at the town through new eyes, to see things as I hadn't seen them before.
From Jul 19, 2011
We did not go to the Battleship North Carolina, though this year marks its 50th anniversary.  I am thinking of going down the road again and making a visit.  That a handful of people thought that thing up and got a whole bunch of other people to give shape to their idea boggles my mind.  That they did it pretty much on the fly to jump into World War II and made the thing go and went on to win the war also boggles my mind.  I am no fan of war, but I totally respect the power of a people to turn the world around through the sheer force of its will.  In fact, I love that.
From Jul 19, 2011
Here's the Coast Guard cutter Diligence.  This baby and its crew have done plenty to protect our shores.  Just look at the battle flag:  42 drug busts.


From Jul 19, 2011

This flag was hanging over a shop on Market Street. As we were waiting to go for our horse-drawn tour of the historic district, I found myself drifting into the light and shadows mottling this beautiful banner.

My World Tuesday

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Lovely shots. Is that a Venus Fly-trap statue in the first shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun historical vacation, we are on our way home now-the best part of the journey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you never tire of this beautiful city. An overgrown venus flytrap is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your look at life this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice views of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And why should you get tired of that lovely city? Never boring to see someone's favorite place. (MOst of us would be in trouble if we had to find a new world every week ;>)

    Our son was in the Coast Guard so I really enjoyed seeing those shots -- as I did all of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your posts about Wilmington because your love of the city, of the area is so delightfully obvious and it is easy to see it all through your eyes! It does look like such a delightful place! North Carolina is one of the few states I haven't visited, but I would love to! Your photos are the next best thing to being there! Hope your day has gone well, Sandy! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some places are amazingly special! It's comforting to return over and over to a town you love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:42 PM

    Pride. Deserved.



    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos, Sandy! It mus have been fun to go on the horse drawn wagon tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looking at familiar places with new eyes is a great way to rediscover it. the battleship looks intimidating even at 50. Diligence lives up to it name.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots. It never gets boring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is never boring to read your posts. The pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.