My World Tuesday: The Namless Tornado That was not

From Not Tornado Damage, 6/9/11

Mother Nature packs quite a punch.  On Thursday, we in Woodbury, Connecticut found that out when she socked us but good when several micro-bursts (not tornadoes, apparently) touched down here, leaving trees lying across wires like babes in arms,  slammed into streets, on top of cars and homes, and leaning against other trees in the woods. It was a wild storm that left us without electrical power for more than two days. 

It was awkward.  It was frightening.  But we did not die. 

Instead, we walked up and down our little road and told the tale, mixing and mingling with neighbors we otherwise had not had the time for.  Neighbors spoke of being in their cars and trapped between fallen trees, floating in that water-filled space for more than an hour (an eternity) while waiting for some guardian angel with a chainsaw to show up and carve the way to freedom.  Others left their cars on the main road and walked under the slack power lines to get home to their waiting dogs.  Some little girls wondered how a strong and healthy maple could have fallen if they had wrapped duct tape around its trunk just a few days before.  (Some things can't be explained, I told them.)  EMTs came in to be available for the elderly and infirm among us who just might need help.  A contractor of some sort with an 8-pack of lite beer decided the party might as well be there and then if the trees were going to keep him where he didn't want to be.  It was, after all, Friday night.




From Not Tornado Damage, 6/9/11


Though the middle managers of the electric company did all they could to thwart progress, the men in their Carharts dug in and planted new utility poles, moved wires, and put our world back in place within 48 hours.  They had the help of arborists and the police.  Lots of people from far away pitched in, too. 
From Not Tornado Damage, 6/9/11
Through it all, we had to laugh.  My neighbor shouted to me this afternoon, "How are you managing?"  I replied, "I feel like a Girl Scout on a camping trip!" He said, "Not really.  You have water; can take a shower!" 

Which is to say, say what you want, life is good.  We have water.

And we did not die. 

I kind of enjoyed the lack of electricity.  I felt strangely relaxed--sleepy all day, in fact.  l liked it though I did miss blogging and keeping up with email and the like.  But it was nice to let go and be tired.  And sleep.


From Not Tornado Damage, 6/9/11
My World Tuesday

Post a Comment

31 Comments

  1. Sandy, we too recently had a not tornado that while we were experiencing it, felt very much like a tornado - although it lasted for hours versus the few seconds a tornado will last. Trees of every sort were uprooted or snapped in half and many other damages. It was a middle of the night storm which was terrifying. The called it a Straight Line Wind Storm with constant winds from the same direction in excess of 80 mph. But we experience not fatalities which was something to be very thankful of. Looks like your neighborhood came together in the middle of a crisis - which is the way it should be. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a scary situation you had, Sandy! I'm glad you and your daughter weren't hurt or your house damaged!! Your photos paint a really vivid picture! The weather everywhere has been so bizarre this year! We haven't had any violent weather here in the Seattle area, but we've had no spring to speak of and right now it doesn't look as though we'll have much summer either! Hope you have a great day and with electricity!!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sure looks like a tornado. Glad everybody is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until we are without our necessities like power or hot water. Glad you were able to enjoy it and receive some community bonding...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We seem so lucky here in the UK, so glad you all are safe and sound, its strange that something like this brings folk together, with all the disasters that happen, you wonder why Countries fight each other.

    Great post Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Scary - and yet it has its bright side too! Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good to hear that no harm came to you and yours. It is so frightening to see all the damage let alone live through it. The winds/tornadoes seem worse this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly! Those pictures speak volumes. I am glad everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you are safe and you had water throughout and that you shared. I always love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you weathered the storm Sandy. They can be so frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. 48 hours without my computer sounds... Well. I admit it would probably be very good for me. :) I'm glad you are OK and that losing electricity was the worst of it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How terrifying, Sandy! Sounds like no one in this instance died but some must have had near death experiences. So true … Mother Nature can be VERY tough and this is a very tough way to meet the neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!!!! seems we have the same climate... Have a great weekdays ahead!!! Hoping you can visit me
    here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, that muat have been terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a mess! We had a tornado 40 minutes from here, which I've never heard of in all the years I've been here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you are ok. Nature certainly likes to through things at us from time to time and as you've posted its at times like that that the neighbours really bond together. Thanks for sharing, I hope things improve for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you slept, and did not die.

    What and experience!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:08 PM

    forces.

    thank you for your effort and reporting. impressive images / word-pictures indeed. fantastic last picture !
    may time and life continue to treat you all kind.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing storms this time of year. Yikes. Water is good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. aaahhhh, so that's the details. Anna never told me a thing about it (New Haven). I know what you mean about the sleepiness. When we lost power for a week in 2005 October blizzard, I slept and read. Until it got so cold. And I am glad your emergency crews know about the old folks. I was amazed at the Red Cross shelter how they knew, here, every single person in every single house. I was in awe. I am so glad you are back! You've got my back again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! Awful calamity. So much devastation. Good to know that you are safe. Tc, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Photojournalist! Gives a good idea of the happenings there. I am glad you are safe. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sandy, I'm glad you and your daughter are well. These nice images tell very much indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Scary, wonderful pictures! Glad you're okay!
    Mad Kane

    ReplyDelete
  25. May be some people do jump the ferry.

    In the river where I was born, where ocean going ships could dock 90 miles upstream.

    We had a ferry, people were lax, we were supposed to get out of the car before Dad drove on to the ferry, some people didn't bother.

    One dusk, a family drove to the ramp just as the ferry was sailing. The man drove into the river, when people tried in vain, a whole family was drowned.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It was just last month when we had a freak tornado, and killed a man, and I was caught in it without knowing what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my goodness, I am so glad you are all safe and life is fresh and good again. That does sound frightening. I do love how these things bring people together.

    I also love it when the electricity goes out, a buzz disappears and the present moment seems so tangible and peaceful.

    so glad you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh that's some serious damage. How horribly frightening. I'm glad to hear that you and yours are safe. Microbursts.. we experienced one at the cottage last summer when a large tree just missed the house. They might not be tornadoes but the damage can be as severe. Hugs to you.. I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow that was some mighty storm to have broken hydro poles like that I am very happy you guys are safe and sound. That is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Glad you're safe!

    Oh, that poor tree!

    ReplyDelete
  31. There is always something positive in the negative, don't you love that? You kind of enjoying being without electricity and therefore experience some peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.