Clyde Strolls the Beach

My daughter's dog Clyde and I have been together on North Topsail Beach in North Carolina for almost a week. He has missed my daughter sorely, and he has been reluctant to go out to do more than the biz. He's porked out a bit without the usual exercise, and I was figuring it was time to cut him back at chow time so that he's have the familiar boyish figure by the time my daughter gets here Wednesday.

Then he surprised me. Today, he walked beyond the usual patch of grass to a larger one. Later, he walked with me to Seaview Pier and back again, his big ol' ears flapping in the breeze. He was happy and comfortable and enjoying the beach he has enjoyed on his last three vacations. (He has had four North Carolina vacations in the past year. Try not to feel too sorry for him.)



From Jun 25, 2011


The thing about Clyde is that he is truly my daughter's dog. When we went to the ASPCA shelter to adopt a very different dog last year, I spotted this guy in a kennel full of bouncing, yapping Jack Russell terriers being pummelled in their frenzy over apparently nothing. Della likes to remind me that even though I told her she would pick her dog, I had said, "Dell, there's your dog," and that was it. (I tell her once in a blue moon, I get something right, so work with me.) Being Della's dog, he is suspicious and upset when she leaves him and when he has to make his own way. It doesn't take a long time for him to warm up because it never happens. This time around, though, he has loosened up.



From Jun 25, 2011


Clearly, he wants his girl back, but he is making the most of his time with the hired help. And it warms my heart.



From Jun 25, 2011

The big lesson from little Clyde: relationships take time, and friendship takes heart. You have to show up--over and over again. And expect nothing. Because it has to be a gift.

Post a Comment

12 Comments

  1. What a sweet doggie and I love your pictures! Mostly I love the lesson from Clyde! No truer words! Hope you have a lovely evening, Sandy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dog photos!

    And thanks for your fun contribution to this week's Limerick-Off!

    Mad Kane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and poignant last two lines, I so agree.;) We have often so much to learn from animals.;))
    Lovely photography as well dear Sandy, have a lovely summer and give my best to Topsail.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. good lessons from Clyde that apply to people relationships...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it does take time...time and patience!
    Clyde is a real beauty by the way!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:25 AM

    Clyde looks friendly and yeah, I can see a dampened look in his eye..probably missing his favorite one! Nice pics...and a gr8 lesson for the day from a faithful friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Clyde missing his little Mistress. It is a good thing that you get to bond with the little boy some. Make his life a little broader. :) Lucky dog getting to run the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loyalty and dedication

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:50 AM

    What a great lesson to learn. And he is a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clyde is so adorable and sweet! Your last line says it all, so true.

    Happy Week, G

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww poor Clyde. Good thing he has such a good friend to take care of him while your daughter is gone.
    They are such friendly dogs anyway.
    but all dogs miss their owners.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy, I can't get enough Clyde pics or stories. And I'm not even a dog person. But something strums my heart. Perhaps he is so much like my Amelia's Sophie (but Clyde is better adjusted). Keep these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.