Header Challenge: Pink

From Arboretum

I suggested pink for this week's header challenge. I had the phrase "in the pink" on my mind. Feeling good, being happy, well....It's what May does as everything comes into bloom, geese lay their eggs, turtles hatch and risk their lives crossing the road, butterflies flit about, and even the turkey vultures are surveying the pond-side real estate for suitable nesting habitat.  On Friday, when the whole world seemed to come to life, the day was warm and tropical, dreamy--as North Carolina was in April, when I took this photo at the New Hanover County Arboretum.

Oh, for the environment to be in the pink. On Friday, I helped three baby turtles the size of silver dollars get across the road from the culvert to that most magical of swamps. (I found the same number dead.) As I hoisted up these two painteds and one snapper, I told them they were doing the right thing by retreating into their shell and that they shouldn't mind me. (There is no good reason not to talk to turtles.) Then a neighbor and I found ourselves contemplating a young snapper she had helped cross a driveway into the safety of long grasses and who stood stock still until she and I shut up and move on.



From Apr 9, 2011


Please see the links above to check out all the other pink headers!

Post a Comment

15 Comments

  1. I always stop to help turtles cross, too!

    Lovely pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have turtles where we live but I would surely help them across the road. When I was little I helped spiders up the wall. I thought it might be exhausting for them and would like the help. Now I just put them outside. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah the turtle rescuers are at work, all is well in the universe...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how wonderful that you were able to save the turtles! It makes it easier for me to believe there truly is love in the world when there are people like you, Sandy! And your PINK for the day is gorgeous!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you did that. :)
    Nice header shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post as usual! It's good to help crossing animals, but it would be better if the traffic was slowing down, even better if everybody cycled on short distances. My daughter Thyme always cycles if a distance is under 20 kms and so does my daughter in Australia and her children..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor turtles! They have a rough road to travel. Fraught with all kinds of dangers! Wait a minute! So do we! Ha! Glad I have help too!!
    Well said hun
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You nailed pink. Lots of these turtles are migrating now. Tis the season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the pink. I hadn't thought of that phrase in a while, and all it conjures up. And you've expanded it to include our interconnectedness in keeping the world "in the pink." Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alls well with PINK here Sandy.
    nice pinky post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy: Love the pink rose and your turtle story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shame that pink turtles don't exist, as that would have made a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never had to help a turtle cross the road, (don't get them here) but certainly sounds interesting. Lovely pink rose Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The header is beautiful and so are you, .. the Turtle Whisperer. Thank you for caring and being there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so nice you were able to save the turtles. Very nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.