My World Tuesday: Hartford Public Library

http
We stopped at the Hartford Public Library after our visit to the Wadsworth Atheneum last Saturday. I like the building and the atmosphere it engenders. There are people everywhere doing or not doing things as they please. Many people sleep in the boxy club chairs, but nobody minds. There are others who seem to be there to simply be somewhere. There are dozens of folks poring over computer monitors. There are security guards making small talk with librarians. There are art shows waiting for visitors.




From Mar 26, 2011

The art shows are what brought us up to the third floor, where we saw this sequence of panels. If they had been orange, I would have guessed Cristo had been there. We stood and stared and wondered, "Is this the art?" A couple came up behind us and wondered that out loud. (This is my commentary on contemporary art. I have said it without saying it in the way some art is art without being it.)

Out the window, though, was art in the form of a cityscape the focal point of which is the dome of Hartford's exquisite capitol building.




From Mar 26, 2011


The view directly below captured ol' Sam Clemens taking in the view from ground level.



From Mar 26, 2011


At ground level, he cut an even more commanding image.



From Mar 26, 2011

From Mar 26, 2011


In preparing this post, I spent some time trying to find the architect of this building and the sculptor of this fine piece but without any results. I will keep looking. If you know, please let me know. At the moment, I feel like I did with my daugher at the Monet show. "Forget about the captions," I told her. "Just enjoy."  With that, I'll shut up.  Have a great week.

My World Tuesday


Post a Comment

17 Comments

  1. I love libraries!! Great shots as always and I love the statue of "ole Sam Clemens", as you probably know by now, he's a favorite of mine. Wonderful look at your world for the day, Sandy! Have a beautiful day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:31 PM

    Hurray for libraries that have books and art and statues!

    Looks lovely and sunny where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're correct, many times the real art is to be found outside the museums or libraries...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots of thew place. The sculptures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great minds, Sandy! I posted a library today too, :)

    Love the statue of Samuel Clemens. In January I reread the Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn...but that's a whole other topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like libraries! I love the statues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not many sleep in our library but it is a beehive of activity. Your photos are great. They bring me right into a world I can appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat shots, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, just enjoy, as those sitting in those comfortable chairs are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit that I really like the art on the outside of the library very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank heavens for airy bright libraries. i would be one of those sitting in one of those boxy chairs with eyes closed and just being quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:07 PM

    Thank you for this nice walk. Have to admit, that I don't even remember,when last time I've been to a library; must be at least half a decade I think ...

    Please have you all a wonderful Tuesday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is incredible art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That library looks like a great place with some wonderful windows. The main Tulsa library is just two blocks from my office and I retreat there often at lunch. It has lots of homeless people there who are really mannerly and not a problem whatsoever. A friend of my wife works there and she doesn't take kindly to anybody speaking ill, even as a joke, of any of her "clients." I love it.

    As far as contemporary art, I'm pretty broadminded about it but blank canvasses don't do it for me nor is dead air music for me. I'm an Okie though, so people expect that kind of attitude from me. It's kind of liberating you know, low expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That library looks great and your photos are fabulous!
    Mad Kane

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a wonderful job capturing the beauty of the sculptures! This must be a wonderful place to linger for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandy, I love libraries. They are full of al kinds of surprises and treasures. You have well showed this to us. I am surprised it has been so hard to discover the sculptor or the architect. I know someone who might know however. I'll put him on the scent and let you know what I find out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.