My World Tuesday: Winter Made Me Do It

Record levels of snowfall have caused level records of cabin fever have caused record levels of out-of-the-ordinary behavior.

In our wee humble abode, that has meant that I have not been out for a walk in more than a week. Usually, I'm good for five miles a day and then some. I have put those miles on my dad's old elliptical trainer, so I've gotten the exercise for the body.




Westfarms Mall

But the mind. That has not wandered far. To remedy that my daughter and I did what we never do. We went to the mall. The big and lovely one in West Hartford called Westfarms. The one that does not look like a factory or a warehouse or somebody's turned-over box room. No. We put on some decent clothes, polished our shoes, and went to the mall. For five hours. We toured ever store but Lord & Taylor.  (I had suggested a few museums as options for a day out, but she chose the mall.  I am not a shopper, so malls generally hold no appeal for me. But we weren't there for the shopping. Not really.)




Westfarms Mall


We tried on silly shoes and crazy gowns and unusual sweater. We stumbled our way past the young man with no shirt on standing guard outside the very dimly lit Hollister shop to find out what Down Undies are at $2.50 a pop only to find out they are ordinary undies. We were a littled bummed (pardon the pun) because down underwear would be just the ticket about now. We stumbled out of there and into the Apple store where Della went nuts over the latest pocket iThing and we both marveled at how few wires and how very thin and stylish the products are.




Rainforest Cafe


We ate pizza where pizza is always very reliably the same, bought chocolate bars and licorice at the best chocolate store in this corner of the Free World, tried on everything in Forever 21, scouted the entire place for saddle shoes (Again, we find ourselves on the cutting edge of fashion and forced to shop online. Even the lovely man at Nordstrom's couldn't help us after calling around in our behalf.) She found a sweater, belt, T-shirt, and gloves she liked, and she bought them. Her shirt said:






My World Tuesday

She had caramel gelato after we bought a greeting card and I treated myself to lavender water and body lotion because I love that fragrance more than any other--and a dose of summer in this form is a fair trade for down undies that don't actually exist.

Finally, we made wishes as we tossed coins in the fountain outside the Rainforest Cafe. Della stood for her mother who never puts the camera down and put up with being photographed with a toucan growing out of her head. What we do for our mothers.

It was a great day. After we had put a few miles on our shoes, climbed into the car, and found ourselves alongside a dumptruck taking winter (no doubt wearing cement shoes) to the end of a pier somewhere.






My World Tuesday

Post a Comment

31 Comments

  1. Your daughter is so cute. You two are such a good team. I love that you made an adventure out of a day at the mall. With your photography, it truly was more like a day at the museum. The down undies cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day out! Sounds like so much fun! Really enjoyed reading -- next best thing to being there myself! Thanks for sharing the fun, Sandy! Hope you have a great week -- with some sun and less snow!!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was one hectic day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Son and I did a similar thing during a cold spell a couple weeks ago. It had been years since we had been to the mall. They had reinstalled a carousel that he used to ride when he was little and loved that and then we rode up and down the glass elevator "for old times sake." Of course we didn't buy anything but we had a great ime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least you got some walking in and had fun as well. Your winter has been brutal this year.

    We don't have a mall-but every Monday morning when I buy groceries-I see the same 2 ladies making their laps inside wally-world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not usually up for the mall but your mother daughter fun sounds great. Makes me miss having my daughter at home. I enjoyed your photographs and narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you just proved the mall can be fun. Maybe because you don't go often?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes … I think a mall can be fun if it is not visited too often. What a clever thing to do on a cold wintry day. I love the words on your daughter’s shirt. And the dump truck taking winter away almost sounded poetic. Thanks for sharing your journey … a whiff of the lavender you bought is sure to bring back the nice memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been to a mall for soooo long....and was liking it. But NOW I won't be afraid to go - if I have to - as long as I can take my secret spy camera (one I can keep in my pocket). :))

    FUN post, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, it sounds like a great mother daughter outing. You can do a lot of walking at the malls. I enjoyed the post and now I am hoping winter will come to end early.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never find malls so much fun - maybe I should tag along with you next time.
    Love the idea of winter in a dump truck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a long time since I've been to a mall. Of course, we're at least an hour from the closest one. I just wish winter would go off in that dump truck so I can get out in the yard again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like a great adventure. glad you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a fun outing-there's always a way to have fun indoors or outdoors despite what the weather dishes out...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun! I too go and do some window shopping in a mall sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful shots. I am sure you had lot of fun here on a winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always great to spend "quality time" with a daughter (even when it's shopping). That's probably when my daughter and I have the best time together ( she buys and I pay!).
    It sounds like you had a really good time. I love the t-shirt saying-I'm going to "borrow" it to use on FB or in a Blog (thanks). A big snow is headed our way tonight (Kansas), so I may be going crazy in a day or two also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Life as it could / should be.


    Please have you all a wonderful new month.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great day out and lots of precious moments of togetherness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A real Mom and daughter day. What fun.:)
    Hate those trucks in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow! 5 miles a day! that is amazing.
    You & your daughter sound like you had a perfect day too.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous2:57 AM

    I usually hate malls too... but sometimes a girl' day out is what the spirits need!

    Loved a glimpse into your day out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I miss those grand and LARGE American malls.;) After my shopping trips, that often turned to day trips, I must have walked half around the world.;) I literally shopped till I dropped, but more because of the walking.;)
    Seems like you and your girl had a great day.;)
    Lovely images as well,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was the perfect antidote to being cooped up. You found lots of entertainment here at the mall. Love the colorful art and statuary. Beautiful young lady your girl is.

    ReplyDelete
  25. P.S. Shining back on ya.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great way to spend the day!! At the Mall!! Wonderful pictures by the way! Such a beautiful mall! I loved taking the trip with you.
    I hear you about not being able to get out of the house and walk. I have been missing that too! Treadmill for me and it just isn't the same.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a wonderful world!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful post, Sandy. I've enjoyed all the images and the text too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now, that's what I call a shopping spree. You must have had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the mall!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That sounds like my kind of day. Today's market. I love the first sculpture. It pulls me in, hoping the round part won't fall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.