My World Tuesday: Just the Way it Is

IMG 5723
My friend Brian, who is a Buddhist teacher, ran a day-long retreat Sunday.  We spent the day, as he said, doing nothing--except, of course, that we observed everything. 
IMG 5718
Another nothing that was really something was decorating birdhouses any way we felt like it. I tore up a few meditations and pasted the paper on anyway it felt like going. The strips of paper made me think of bandages, which in a way made perfect sense. Letting the paper take its own course, I saw the words interact with each other differently and tell me something new. 
IMG 5432
Brian had begun the day by inviting us to consider that there is nothing to fix--in ourselves, in our world--because everything is perfect as it is.  Thinking about this later--as I sat in front of my computer to prepare this post before bedtime--it seems to me we have to get our arms around this idea before we can open them to the rest of the world.  It seems to me to focus on what is flawed can blind me to what is beautiful. That's no way to live. 

I took the third photo in (Go ahead--guess!) in Topsail a few weeks ago. This was a morning Della and I were crab-walking down the beach and noticing all the beautiful oceanic debris glistening in the sun. This shell caught my eye because the shadow cast by the bright morning sun made it whole again. Pure magic; what is real.

My World Tuesday

Post a Comment

20 Comments

  1. great ideas, we can get blinded by the ugly in the world and miss the beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:56 AM

    What beautiful objects in your photos: that shell is perfection itself, because it is beautiful and flawed! (Like most people...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so much appreciate what you've said. Too often I wish I could change unchangeable things in my life and I forget, it's perfect already. It sounds like this was a great retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those bird houses. The shot of the beach is very interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. What got me was looking at familiar things in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stared at the second photo for a few seconds before reading on. It appeared to be a rose on the beach. Beautiful. Your session with the Buddhist sounds interesting. A lesson we could all learn. Of course words and birds are some of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are profound thoughts and delightful pictures. Reality is a matter of perspective as your floral shell shows so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:11 PM

    Outstanding, much needed entry of yours. Thank you.


    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last shot captured so well, indeed magical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. So peaceful and tranquil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your retreat sounds fascinating. Then the picture of the shell on the beach is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's just amazing how the shadow completed/repaired/healed that shell. How apropos for what you had just learned. All are beautiful images but that one, particularly because of how you saw it, was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice the decorated bird houses. I like the image of the shell on the beach too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, beautiful sentiments. The last picture has an aura of endless happiness and optimism about it. I do not know why, but it is beuatiful in a subtle way and yet it is so right *in your face* as well.
    It reminds me of the sea, my favorite element...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. ..." consider that there is nothing to fix--in ourselves, in our world--because everything is perfect as it is."

    I wish I could feel that, Sandy! I feel unhappy this very moment. And the problem is I cannot do anything about it. Still I can see the beauty around me and in many people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is perfect. Just as it is, just as we are. I think it is arrogant to think otherwise. Who are and what do we know after all?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is real in our lives is what we believe...what we perceive is true!! I will remember to consider there is nothing to fix. I love that!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  18. It must have been an uplifting day, we should all believe everything is perfect but few do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to live that . Know that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.