My World Tuesday: Halloween Magic in Woodbury


IMG 4297


IMG 4294

IMG 4293

Woodbury honored the season with a spirit-filled cemetery walk in the center of town on Saturday. There, men, women, children, witches, and criminals who shaped the town's history came back to tell their stories. Miller Jonathan Hurd told his story, a decapitated Revolutionary War soldier pulled himself together to tell his, merchant Jabez Bacon mentioned how he grew his wealth by accepting farms as collateral for cash loans until he became Connecticut's first millionaire....And the Rev. John Marshall recounted his troubles as an Anglican priest in a rebel town during the Revolution. Ultimately, he and his colleagues sent the Rev. Seabury to England to become consecrated as a bishop so that he could return to Connecticut and do his own consecrating of clergy in the new United States. Thus was born in Woodbury, Connecticut, the Episcopal Church of the United States. The Glebe House did a wonderful job of bringing to life the history of our town with colorful stories, humor, and the plain old facts. We had a great evening.  Click here for more images.

My World Tuesday

Post a Comment

27 Comments

  1. Oh, that's terrific! And so much fun! I'm going to look at the other pictures! It does sound like a terrific evening! I love the photos!!
    Have a great day tomorrow, Sandy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like lots of fun celebrating going on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halloween IS New England, Sandy :)


    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the first one.
    I should put an old man like that on my porch. But no one comes on my street. Its as dead as dead could be.
    Sorta like a cemetary. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful. They truly get into the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I would love to have taken a walk there and seen all this.;) I have always been fascinated by history.;) Great idea indeed.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. Whoever put together the displays did a great job. Nice little bit of history also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great collection, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the first one actually scared me a bit. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I know the lady in that first photo. Oops, no I was just looking in the mirror. tee hee... Looks like you had a fun time. Someone is very talented in your community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. how interesting...
    you live in such a fascinating place

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice way to celebrate Halloween and highlight your history.

    Sound like a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Wow - those are some fancy Halloween figures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good Halloween figures! The first one is a bit worrying!!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful! That looks like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful post, and it reminds me of the lovely time I had last year during Halloween in Connecticut and New York.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:50 PM

    Very interesting and so much fun for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting seeing these traditions that seem so foreign to us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being an Episcopalian all my life, I loved this post....a GREAT Episcopal story. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for your visit g

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! great preparations. People here are certainly fun loving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the horror series. Well composed frames. I can imagine the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Halloween must be a lot more interesting in the Anglo-Saxon countries than in the rest of the world, where Halloween is a rather new phenomenon. We have the occasional pumpkin made into a lantern.
    Your post highlights the happenings in your vicinity. It looks like great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun post! Such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We don't do halloween here, in fact, I am quite scared of ghosts and spirits, coming from a Borneo culture.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha! Oh my... I suppose the person on the first pic ----- she is a real person?? ;) Fantastic photos- and fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would LOVE something like that- it looks so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.