Blog Your Blessings: 'I Have to Tell You Something About Your Turtles'

"Miss Carlson, I have to tell you something about your turtles." This was my best student whispering to me at the beginning of a test--which test began just after I explained how important it would be to stay quiet and focused. 

"Tell me after your test, hon."

But he wouldn't be put off.

"I have to tell you. I read it this morning."  This from a kid who is the picture of good manners. Just the Awesome Child you want in your classroom because the interaction is always good. He was insisting on telling me something about My Turtles during a test. I had to love that, and I did. Rebellion that takes this form is an embrace that doesn't let go.

"What about them?" I asked.

"They've been around since the time of the dinosaurs," he said. He had read it this moring in Weird but True. And he had to tell me. 

Even as he held that test (on which he would earn a perfect score), his mind was wandering among dinosaurs and turtles on a beautiful autumn morning, traveling back and forth from then to now along the same path as the turtles I love--and he wanted me to know. 

He interrupted a test to respect me. To connect. It wouldn't wait.
***
"What's good, Miss?" is the greeting du jour at work these days.

"It's all good," is always my response. Nobody argues.

Post a Comment

8 Comments

  1. I love when you share your student/classroom experiences! For one thing, it brings back memories of my own students many years ago and secondly, it reassures me that there are people who care in so many ways and that as long as they are around our children will be well educated in many different things, not just all "book" stuff and that is the only hope for the future that we have. Thank you, Sandy! Have a lovely weekend1

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing good work!




    Aloha from Hawaii

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nice response shows your great and admirable optimism, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is all good. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is all good! And wonderful that you appreciate them!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, I love your open and possitive response to your students. Undoubtedly others would rigidly put down that lovely rebellion. Instead, you love it.

    It is all good in fact it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely brought a smile to my face! What a blessing to you! Good for him for scoring 100 on the test too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are mightly blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.