Blog Your Blessings: 'See You in a Few Weeks'

I saw dolphins on the horizon following a shrimp boat while I was swimming this morning, and I thought of a sixth-grade boy in Waterbury who was one of my students in the summer program. He is a sweet, slight child--the kind whose bones break if you raise your voice even slightly. He is an angel.

This child's big summer trip was to go to the Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, Connecticut, and see dolphins. He told me this right after he told me he wished the summer program would never end. This was at the end of our third week, when my eyes were on the calendar and I was counting down to North Topsail Beach for three weeks of bliss on the beach.

His words out of the blue--"I wish the summer program would go on forever, Miss"--stopped me in my tracks. Obviously, being in a poorly air-conditioned, dirty school building with hallways loaded with janitorial junk; eating government-issue breakfast and lunch (too scary to think about); and being with a mix of kids who seemed so much larger and more wordly than he to do school work, real and serious school work, meant a lot to this kid.

He left me tongue-tied. In my clumsiness, I asked what else he had planned for the summer. That's when he told me about the Mystic dolpins.

On the last day of the summer program, as he was heading for the door, he made a hard right and survived a trip through a fast-moving river of kids focused on leaving so he could give me a big hug. The child said thank you and then, "I'll see you in a few weeks."

I'd give up anything to stay here. Except home.

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. I am sure those are the moments that make it a little easier to start school again. I am so glad that you had such a restful time at the beach. I hope you soaked up enough sunshine and beautiful memories to carry you through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those moments make it all worthwhile and how fortunate we are to have them! I'm so glad you've had such a wonderful time at the beach! I do love being near the water, too! Enjoy your weekend, Sandy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pure wish from a child. I hope he makes an endless summer of his life as he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely blessings all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a blessing you are to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I FELT (and needed) that, Sandy.

    Makes life worth while, eh?




    Warm Aloha from Waikiki :)

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats why I love kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story. That child knew he was fortunate to have you as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a splendid teacher, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it takes a child, to help us know. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you are a great teacher. What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has to be kids like that who help keep you going. :) What boy! I hope he saw many dolphins!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.