The Butt of My Students' Joke--My Butt

An entire class of my kids laughed at my butt today. Sure was something. I was bringing them to my classroom, which is at the other end of the known universe from the other classes, and I was walking in the usual way--quickly

Until I heard the laughter. Then I turned around and asked what the joke was. They giggled and covered their mouths. I couldn't imagine. I turned and walked on, but the laughter continued. I turned and saw the kids watching my rear end. So I asked if there were something on the back of my pants I needed to know about. (Our building is as dirty as a subway station; anything could have been going on back there.) Finally, one of the girls said, "No, Miss. It's the way you walk. Why do you walk like that?"

Alrighty, then. I had no answer. So I pulled the teacher face and told them very seriously to walk to the next hallway. I watched the tallest girl, the one who had just enlightened me, walk.

I returned to the head of the line. "I think I can do it now," I said. "Let's go." And I swaggered just like my tall friend. It took us about three minutes to get up the stairs, but it was worth it.

"Don't make fun of old people; it isn't nice," I said. And the day began.

Returning to the other wing at the end of our hour, I told them, "Walk like me so we can get there today." The little twirps power-walked like a bunch of aging women.

Nothing like being the butt of a joke!

Post a Comment

19 Comments

  1. Ha!!! Good for you!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you have a sense of humor and your students feel comfortable really talking to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had had a teacher like you...


    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was a cute post but ,, I think you got the last laugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's ok Sandy, I got made fun of once because when I run, I look like I'm 150 yrs old... Bad knees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids look for anything to pounce on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:35 AM

    It's a wise woman who knows how to laugh... at herself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy: That was really funny, I'm so glad you have a good sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. alady'slife4:04 PM

    ata girl lol
    I remember I had a nice little old lady for a teacher. She was quite plump and her class was boring.
    So we put a thumb tack on her chair.
    She sat down on it and continued her lesson and we all paid attention waiting for her to jump up but she never did.
    At the end of class we laughed and laughed and laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very funny, Sandy. Kids are always so unpredictable and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very funny read! I wish more teachers had a sense of humor. I know when I get a classroom of my own, a sense of humor will be in the balance.

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  12. o! hahaha! that was a cute post! kids are too innocent... they just say anything that comes to their mind... no fear, no shame, no being someone else...

    ReplyDelete
  13. how come i didnt have a teacher like you? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a fun post. you're such a wonderful teacher. happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like everyone had a good laugh "in the end". :o()

    Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Sometimes I can be such an a$$.

    I am still laughing over this (LMAO)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The relationship that you have with your students always fills me with joy! Way to go Teach!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny, funny! Glad you have a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this group is going to remember you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.