My World Tuesday: Down on Main Street

IMG 1473


IMG 1474>

IMG 1475

IMG 1492


For Skywatch Friday, I posted an image of the Center Church in Hartford, Connecticut, as it appears in the glass of the bronze windows of the People's Bank tower on Main Street in the Nutmeg State's capitol. The effect of this building on light is magical. The first shot above shows that light cast onto the side of the Wadsworth Atheneum, which is another marvelous place. The museum has the right amount of everything wonderful, including the epic works of John Trumbull.

Down the road a few paces is a municipal building, the front of which is graced with a weird, eclectic work of art made of many bits and pieces of machinery. The plow blades made me think of human hips, and the rust--well, it reminded me to take my fish oil pills.

A few more paces down the road is the Hartford Public Library. I love this building. It's gorgeous and full of everything good. The Sunday I stopped in, a young man named Tiano was performing a piano recital to a rapt audience. The place was a librarian's dream, it was so quiet. All kinds of people were listening--no matter what they were doing. Net surfers, book browsers, stray dogs like me--all were listening to this college student majoring in microbiology offer a marvelous fusion of jazz, reggae, and classical piano music.

My little walkabout in Hartford that day made me realize all over again that if you want a good life, then you have to show up for it. Because it's there.

Post a Comment

29 Comments

  1. It somehow looked very British in parts. Made me wonder what the acoustics are like in there too. I love mutli purpose places. A melting pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had been there! Sounds like a fabulous library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:03 PM

    A trio of interesting buildings and you are so right, there is much to enjoy if only we go out and look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the light in the first couple photographs. The library sounds and looks like a wonderful place. I love public libraries!

    I love your comment. When son was in Cub Scouts and I was the den leader sometimes kids would miss the meetings and the parents would be all sorts of apologetic and stuff and I would just tell them "Cub Scouts is for those who show up." I mean with soccer and other stuff going on kids and parents are so busy I just didn't want them to feel bad and get all anxious and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice effects of how light cast on buildings. Regarding the piano performance, the young man gathered the attention of the people about the place. Must be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy: Love the photos of the building and what a neat library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:33 PM

    How lovely!
    love that last sentence - so true :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think libraries are some of the greatest places. This looks like such a nice one!
    I've had major computer problems and haven't been online that much for a while. Paranoid now about hackers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic library! Definitely one of my favorite places to spend time! All the buildings in your photos are so interesting looking! Great look at your town. And I love your last sentence because it is so true! Thanks for the beauty and the wisdom! Have a great week, Sandy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:44 PM

    Very true - 90% of life is just showing up. And how often that makes a difference.

    Beautiful downtown, and interesting juxtaposition of traditional and modern architecture. The concert sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great place. I like the way you took the shots at various angles, gives a great sense of hugeness and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos of the place. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are so nice...and you're so right!.....if you want a good life you have to show up! I love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. "It's there."


    Yeah!


    Aloha from Hawaii my Friend


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandy, yesterday I tried to comment several times but could not see the label "comments"!
    This is a splendid place, I'd like to spend some time there! Wonderful images of the building and the inside.
    Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES...it´s always there, waiting for you!
    This library looks like a wonderful place with a very special light.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful shots of wonderful architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your world is magical: such golden light and crazy angles. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nicely done... I can feel the attention of the audience ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. The thing I miss most about living in a small town is no big library. Your's looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful opportunity!

    I love your last line and might use that for my church bulletin board.

    ReplyDelete
  22. quite a collection of places, looks like a fun place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing. Grew up in CT. Haven't been to Hartford in 15 years.

    Tam http://bloggingbradleys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous11:35 PM

    Nice images and background.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's funny, the first two pictures I thought was the prison in Brussels I showed, looks a little alike, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous4:09 PM

    "...You have to show up for t. Because it's there."

    Priceless gems of wisdom; I'm saving these words, to remind me always, always to show.up.for.it.

    Thank you, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous8:43 PM

    I like the building in the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful views from your world ... with such a rich heritage.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.