Blog Your Blessings: 'Did You Like It?'

"Miss, miss! You know my brother? He in your other class?"

"Yes. I know your brother. Knew him last year, too."

"He say you only like me because you like him. That ain't true, is it, miss?"

I smiled. That sweet-faced, trouble-making wunderkind told me so much in just a little more than 25 words.

I laughed. "Your brother would say that, but it's not true."

"You don't like me?" She was playing.

"You know I do. Because you're you. So get to work."

Same day, different hour:

I step into the hall to round up the little gypsy who just isn't where he is supposed to be: at his desk. I am tired of telling this kid to come into the classroom and sit down. So I don't say a word but hold up my arms to ask, "What are you doing out here?" I am frustrated.

"Oh, hi, Miss Carlson," he says, and he gives me a hug, goes inside, and sits down. (Sometimes I get what I needed but didn't ask for.)

After school:

I have videotaped our drum line performing, and dancing and performing, to cadences it has created. On the way out, on of the kids--my nemesis from one short year ago--leans into me and says, "Miss, can I have a CD?" He feels good; he did a great job. After going to hell and back with him, the CD will be the easy part.

And one of mine--the little boy who didn't want to be in my class because it meant he couldn't have a music class and who fought the good fight until his mother and I won and who now comes up for lunch with me in my room a couple of times a week--came running down the steps of the music room to ask, "Miss, miss. Did you like it?" He so wanted me to like it. And he was so beautiful.

I love these kids. They are so honest. Real. They tell me right up front what they want. It's what we all want. To be affirmed. For someone to notice we are here. And to be happy about it.

They are and I am. Beautiful thing.

Post a Comment

19 Comments

  1. What a beautiful post, Sandy! And, as a former teacher who felt the same way you do, it meant a lot! All of mine were and I was, too, and it was a beautiful thing. Your students are blessed to have you as you are blessed to have them. Have a beautiful weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO beautiful!
    I miss my relationships with the kids I worked with when I read these posts.
    Enjoy your exhausting wonderful work, Sandy!
    Note: As a lingering-outside-gypsy I just wanna say that I need that space - it's not defiant, just self-preservation-y.

    Aloha, Friend!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are touching souls with your love and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is beautiful, Sandy. Lucky kids, so lucky us. Thank you for your loving work. We sure need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this, Sandy. It's so wonderful when a teacher likes the kids she works with. These kids are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another love story!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post, Sandy- and it make me tear up. On Facebook my status is about mattering to other people...One of the students at Molly's school- a senior- took his life last week because he felt he didn't matter to anyone and felt unconnected- which was totally not true. My heart breaks for those who feel like that- and there are so many. It does make me feel good that we CAN notice and show them they DO matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy: We give so that we may receive, you have given a gift to the children and are reaping your reward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why I love you. You get it. You just... get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I think that they got something else they needed: vitamin C.

    The vitamin C you radiate from that big, warm, individually personalized smile you target at each specific kid who lives... lives to get you to recognize him, to look at her, to smile.

    I think that you do it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly are there and they are the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. innocence is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These kids are lucky to have a good and nice teacher like you, Sandy. It's true, kids are real and genuine and this is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't beat purity - ever...Let's have some drum line video sandy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always enjoy your student stories. It makes me smile to know they have such a great teacher in their lives... and that she shares these stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:04 PM

    This is such a wonderful story, Sandy. Thank you for sharing. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:04 PM

    This is such a wonderful story, Sandy. Thank you for sharing. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many kids just need someone to give them a chance. You have given these kids a chance and they are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.