Blog Your Blessings: Dunno...but I Keep Showing Up

IMG 8087

Over the past few days I have been thinking a bit about this post and have been stumped. What has this week had to offer, anyway?

That's bad.

These things should be obvious. I should see blessings for what they are right away. (Right? Help me, here....)

A week into summer vacation, I am trying to slip through the dull cracks that line the faces of Obvious and her best pal Oblivious, and as I disappear I just can't see the goodness for what it is anymore.

That's good.

That makes everything a blessing.

For instance.

My daughter has been at basketball camp this week. Very cool. She loves playing, and it gives us some time apart. Now, I could have dropped her off and dashed home and cleaned like a nutcase for two hours and then dash back and be a very accomplished over-achieving haus-frau. I did not. As my mother says, "It's only a problem if it bothers you, dear." No dust or--dare I say it--grime really bothers me these days. So I slung my camera on my back each day of the week and went for a walk--the same walk every day--to see what there was to see that I hadn't seen before.

One day, I was making my way through this lovely field of asters when I heard this strange cry of surprise. I looked up, and up leapt a young deer who had been camouflaged completely by the tall and delicate flowers. I watched him run deeper into the field until he was as invisible as he had been before I startled him.

Each day, I saw flowers I either never saw before or never saw as I did that particular day.

Each day, I head the peaceful, methodical sound of fishing reels letting out line as fishermen in the river sought a trout--or anything at all that would show they had indeed gone fishing. (Standing in the river and taking in the scenery is called fishing.)

Following those trails, listening to all the natural and lovely sounds of the day, I did not think about whose governor had a tryst in Argentina, what derranged pop star at long last relieved the world of his presence, which auto manufacturer was spending my money to no good end, whether or not the North Koreans would torch Hawaii. Human endeavors are downright ridiculous amid a field of asters. (Maybe that's why the deer went there.)

Flower power? Nah. Nothing to do with power. Flowers.They're the thing. The blessing. That's plenty for me.

IMG 8079

Post a Comment

29 Comments

  1. You see? You saw the blessings right in front of you. And I love you for sharing them with us.

    I LOL at your definition of fishing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, you summarized what's most important, so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh thats nice blessings are scattered everywhere
    and besides flowers are the incredible way for nature to show the infinity of the existing colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The colors and lines of that flower are so beautiful that there are no words I can find to express my delight in your sharing it! I don't think I have ever seen Asters before -- familiar with name but not real live flower. . . Blessings to you for showing it

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture is wonderful but the words are amazing. You've reached a wisdom far beyond your years! I thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely thoughtful words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't know an aster form a hole in the ground, but I'd love to tag along on one of these walks of yours to see what you see. And to see it the way you see it. And, dare I say, listen to you tell the story of it.

    I think that would be a very good day. A very good day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. are you complaining because you took time to enjoy nature and avoided the mundane boring work of cleaning house-go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good words and lovely image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing what we can miss with our cram packed schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blessings are always there....... you have to dig deep sometimes but they are always there.
    Sometimes I am just not in the mood to look for them!

    You were lucky to see the fawn.
    Superb photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just good to take your mind away from it all for while. Nature allows that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandy: Only God could give us nature for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:17 AM

    Wise words indeed. The photography is neat too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is good that you took this time for yourself. We don't often have the self time when raising children. All the dust and ahem grime will be there when you return. Counting blessings is much more important. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe as well that nature has such wonderful effects on us... that is why I spend so much time out there...

    Hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love doing what you described...relishing and rejoicing in the ordinary ~ loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sandy, it was nice to see you walk that one through full course! And now you're back in a good place concerning recognition of blessings.

    Sometimes it gets hard to see them it's true. That's a small taste of Heaven,where you will be surrounded with blessings! How will we recognize them all without the contrast of the dastardly side of life.

    I was sad to see Farah Fawceyy go; but as for the other one, I wore a single green latex glove yesterday as a mock tribute (I had no glue-on sequins, drat), and I have felt that the world is somewhat... cleaner since he is dead.

    You and your blogs, dear (and deer)... those are the blessings!

    -Greg

    .

    ReplyDelete
  19. A field of aster is a blessing under any circumstances, but framed in dark leaves as it is here, it's heaven on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are a blessing to all of us Sandy, don't forget that!

    The last photo took my breath away!!! WOW.

    Hugs, G

    PS: See you at OSI tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  21. You chose to do the right thing - remember "dust is a protective covering." So leave it alone! Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I may not speak and write much, but I enjoy reading your "writings in faith". The flower is just a lovely creation. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your post helped clarify what I've been thinking about this week --- basically burning through the low times in life. Hopefully I'll even create a BYBS about this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i actually noticed that. the flowers seems to be your favorite subject. and they are indeed blessings. they symbolize many things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. (Standing in the river and taking in the scenery is called fishing.)

    Especially the way I fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous photograph. It has been in the triple digits in Texas, so I have been hiding insde.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I sometimes get stumped too, and then when you look at the little things you sometimes can see the blessing right there :) Great post Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing Post and amazing Pic My Dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like you came up with many good blessings! My son has been at his brother's house for a month and I'm just getting into a routine without him here - then he'll be back lol :)

    I love seeing the same thing in a new light and I LOVE that photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.