Hang with me in the Dark for Earth Hour on March 28

There's nothing like a power outage around here. It's the warm weather equivalent of a snow day--complete and unequivocal permission to do nothing because there's nothing you can do because--well, that's all you need to know to enjoy yourself even if the power outage is voluntary.

The times we have lost power around here have been been remarkable for their physical effect. There is complete silence. There is no tension. There is a very natural peace. The air quite definitely is not charged. With anything.
So there's nothing like choosing to unplug, to not be charged, to quite naturally walk away from the glow of the computer or TV screen. Nothing like climbing into bed and being at peace with the simple fact that in bed and asleep is the ultimate state of being after a day that is too long anyway.

Earth Hour is the opportunity to have that thrill and do right by good ol' Mother Earth on March 28 from 8:30 TO 9:30 p.m.

Earth Hour began in Sydney in 2007, when 2.2 million homes and businesses switched off their lights for one hour. In 2008 the message had grown into a global sustainability movement, with 50 million people switching off their lights. Global landmarks such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Rome’s Colosseum, the Sydney Opera House, and the Coca Cola billboard in Times Square all stood in darkness.

In 2009, Earth Hour is being taken to the next level, with the goal of 1 billion people switching off their lights as part of a global vote. Unlike any election in history, it is not about what country you’re from, but instead, what planet you’re from. Vote Earth is a global call to action for every individual, every business, and every community. A call to stand up and take control over the future of our planet. Over 74 countries and territories have pledged their support to Vote Earth during Earth Hour 2009, and this number is growing every day.

Vote Earth has a target of 1 billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009.

This meeting will determine official government policies to take action against global warming, which will replace the Kyoto Protocol. It is the chance for the people of the world to make their voice heard.

Let's make a virtue of being in the dark--for a little while!

Post a Comment

21 Comments

  1. "Let's make a virtue of being in the dark--for a little while!"
    Amen, my Dear! Aloha-

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an early Earth Hour (actually more like 7 hours) last Friday due to underground wiring problems. Marianne posted how we dealt with it on her blog. And yes, it would be great if more people recycled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. manila will definitely be participating again this year! we go for earth hour!

    thanks for supporting sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a quite good initiative, Sandy.
    I think we participate too, but need information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:04 AM

    Thanks for the reminder. I had not realized it was that time again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:03 AM

    this is a great cause, sandy! thanks for reminding me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:46 PM

    We did this last year and I'll tell you, it really changed us. It was so easy to see where we wasted energy. Now we have a 1 light after 9 p.m. rule. We mostly stick to it and our energy bills reflect the change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in! We participated last year too and it was an amazing global experience to be a part of.

    Hugs, G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great idea, and an opportunity to admire the dusk and our earth without unnatural light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I *love* global events like this; there's a feeling like New Year's celebration in the air somehow.

    Can't help but consider making it a weekly family event too-- dinner by candlelight followed by conversation and ghost stories instead of television. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  12. good idea, we are certainly too dependent on electricity these days for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:39 PM

    I think we Sydneysiders started Earth Hour.

    We will be participating...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll raise my glass to this effort! And, I'll turn off my lights. How about from 8:30 until the following day? Once the TV's off and the lights are out, might as well leave em off, eh? Maybe I'll start earlier in the day and make sandwiches or barbecue outside rather than use the stove... I love reading by a kerosene lamp snuggled under a fluffy down comforter. I like barbecuing and eating my meals outside. I like lounging in bed with a good book and getting to sleep earlier than usual. Sounds divine. Unfortunately, it only sounds divine for short periods of time. I'm not sure how I'd handle living under those circumstances for the long haul. Especially, because I'd be living without my washer and dryer and fridge and flusing toilets and hot showers. I can give up lights... even my stove... but hot showers? Refrigeration for my food? A quick and easy way to wash my clothing? A working toilet? That's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is a good idea to bring to light -- no pun intended -- the importance of earth day BUT why don't we do some of these things all the time and not jsut once a year?

    I left comments on 4 posts tonight . . . sorry I got behind since my computer doesn't allow me to write a comment and I have to go use the community room one which isn't always available when I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't remember the last power outage here... knock on wood.. it was a very long time ago. The water was out for half a day a few years ago, that was the last serious trouble I can remember.

    I think Earth hour is a great initiative, count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great idea. I recall participating in something like this before, so you can count me in too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so proud of all of you. More light for me. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is that 8:30 local time, or GMT? Seems like it would be more effective if we all did it in the same hour (just imagine the satellite imagery!).

    But then, I suppose 8:30 PM GMT is the middle of the day in a good bit of the world and not so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It must be one of those days. I didn't wait for a power outage. I turned off everything this afternoon and read a book. It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ah, yes, I remember last year. I will be with my little family in NY by then, God-willing, so will have to encourage them to turn the lights off too! Annie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.