Blog Your Blessings: Michael's Jewelers

This week's blessing is a small-town moment that has become part of my daughter's Christmas present

One day in the summer, we wandered the Brass Mill Center while Sears replaced my tires. We stopped at Michael's jewelers to browse the very beautiful rings and necklaces. We stopped at the opals, my daughter's birth stone, because there were so many beautiful shades of the stone there in the most beautiful of settings. The saleswoman there had all the time in the world for us then and offered to show us everything as she told us about the stones and the settings and her daughter. (It goes that way with women.) This happens on quiet summer mornings sometimes.

Two weeks ago, I was shopping in that mall with a friend, and we stopped at Michael's so I could get my daughter the earrings she liked the best. The store was mobbed with Christmas shoppers, and nobody had a spare second for small talk, to say the least. Nevertheless, while a saleswoman was wrapping up the opal earrings for me, the woman who had shown us the opals in August stopped to say to me, "Did you come back for your daughter's earrings?"


I felt warm and happy inside, like the most important customer who ever walked through Michael's, as I tucked away my $100-earrings for my girl. It felt good to be there.

Waterbury: poor and dirty little city or lovely little town? Yeah. And I love it.

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

19 Comments

  1. Recognition is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't that nice when people extend themselves just a little to take an interest in our life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small town feelings....so very lovely! Hope that shop keeps that young woman employed for many months to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pleasant post to read, Sandy. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moments like that remind us we're not insignificant. If only more people could take the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always feel that way when i visit my sister in Cooktown, Australia. This year I rented a car at the Cairns airport, and the woman renting out the cars had a son who lived in Cooktown and who she was sure must be acquainted to my sisters ex husband so "naturally" she gave us a discount :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mind set was not so happy when I started reading this post, but I didn't know it until after I finished the post. I thought you were going to tell us of how unhappy that woman was because you didn't by the earings from her directly and she missed out on her commission. Now that I realize where I am in this holiday spirit, I'm stepping back a little to re-evaluate.

    The Holiday posts are just beautiful Sandy, I wish I stopped by sooner.

    Merry Christmas, I hope your family is blessed with happiness and good health for 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cool that she remembered you and took the time to speak!
    Cool gift too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:04 AM

    What a lovely thing to be remembered like that :) Happy BYB my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For certain reasons, I can't divulge too much... but I had a similar experience with Sue's gift at a local shop... and yes, it really is a VERY wonderful experience! It even carried on to a brief boxing day visit to the same store... Customer service and caring staff do make a HUGE difference in where we spend money! A lesson that should be passed to all retailers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:23 AM

    And now I'm imagining how beautiful they look on her ears! Love that small town touch where ever I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:04 AM

    Beautiful little vignette, Sandy.

    What you didn't see is that generous saleswoman's side of the story: "Once, this delightful young lady came in with her bright and shiny daughter, to see our opals... Then, without fanfare, that lovely lady came back at Christmastime. I recognized her right away - the Opal Lady - not from her face or from her name, but from that glow. You know what I mean. I was going to get the earrings for her, but I saw that she already had them..."

    I think that you and your daughter have that effect on people!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is your beautiful face and sweet smile that makes people remember you. I would expect your daughter, too.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Small towns are nice like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad that small town America still exists in Waterbury CT! Renews your faith that it is not all about the money.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is nice to be remembered. I see the twinkle in someone's eyes when I remember them and call them by name.

    Always enjoy your post. Happiness wished for you and yours in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lovely that the first time you visited the store things were leisurely. Recognition in the midst of holiday chaos is icing on the cake!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely moment! I hope those earrings share many happy memories with your daughter, along with the one they've given you already--Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know nothing of the town, but it would appear that it is inhabited by some lovely little women.

    I'd love to see those opal earrings twinkling on your daughter's ears. You gave her both jewelry and the memory of a sweet afternoon spent with her mother. Great gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.