Blog Your Blessings: Baby Blanket

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
This week's blessing is my 9-year-old daughter's baby blanket that my father's mother made for her when I was her age--32 years ago.

When we arrived at the camp where she had spent the week, we gathered up her luggage to stow it in the car while we waited for camp to close. I grabbed a pillowcase that I had not recalled packing and peeked inside to see the soft, faded old knitted bit of comfort with its holes in all the corners.


I glimpsed her when we had arrived; I was struck by her older, more independent, very confident posture and the ease with which she interacted with the other girls. She was in her element. She was older. And I was pleased and proud and glad she had made the most of her adventure in the wilds of New Hampshire.


When I saw the blanket, I thought of the words of an old friend: "Wise people take everything with them; they leave nothing behind." Of course, Alice was talking about bringing every lesson learned from every experience into the present and applying that learning to the present--of drawing on every intellectual, emotional, and psychological resource. She was talking about living fully in the moment over and over again.


Yet, in a literal, concrete way, Adella did exactly right. She brought with her a gift of love from a great-grandmother who knew she would succumb to cancer before she would ever see her great-grandchildren and who believed she would not live to see her granddaughters arrive at adulthood. That little blanket is a legacy of love that has made its way beautifully into the present. It is a legacy that helps my daughter grow up while it--because it--comforts the child.


Beautiful thing.

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

27 Comments

  1. Beautiful heartfelt post. My grandchildren love blankets like this - I wish I new how to make one. The ones they have were gifts. What a wonderful legacy you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely thoughts, interesting to watch your children grow and become older yet still youthful and hang onto their past for security. I still have my baby clothes made by hand by my paternal grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:32 PM

    So sweet - and I'm sure that blanket is the repository of a lot of life lessons from a child's point of view, mainly love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am charmed and touched by this story. It awakens so many memories and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:39 AM

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sweet and beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:20 AM

    What a beautiful family treasure! My girls great grandmother did the same, only it was booties, and I still have these in my treasure chest to give my grandchildren one day :) My blessing is up now too! Stop by if you have a moment and have a great weekend!

    Sue
    http://pastyme.uppercanadianheritage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that she did something that would bring no reward, not even the look on a child's face, did it willingly, lovingly, perfectly. Did it, and now you both can feel that love and warmth through time. 'Tis the best of our instincts, to do something for those who come after, to send our hearts through time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids (even the one who is out of touch most of the time) cherish the afghans my mother made for them. It was really hard on my son when his Nana died. He was crazy about her.

    I think it's so sweet and amazing that your daughter recognizes the value of that blanket. You can't buy things like that.

    Peace - D

    ReplyDelete
  11. i believe that personally hand crafted items are one of the most valuable things that we can give to our friends, family members and or someone special. let that baby blanket be a symbol of that great love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy

    Our life is a great history.
    To tell this history is revive our life!
    Thanks for visitit my BOLO DE NESCAU DA VÓ (Grandmother's NESCAU Cake)!

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are the really special gifts. Crafted with love. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a touching post Sandy. There is beauty and comfort in simple, precious possessions, linked to our memories. Lovely words to contemplate. Hugs,G

    www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

    PS: You stopped in just while I was in the process of posting a new poem. Hope you stop by again soon. Have a wonderful Labour Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandy,
    I am very glad to have news of you.
    This post is so touching that I am still meditating on it. I think that the value of that blanket is more and more than whatever word or speech.
    Have a nice Sunday (tomorrow I am going to the mountains!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post. Beautifully written.

    (Thanks for comment at mine)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a precious memory! I actually shed a few tears reading this. . .

    I will have my post up for BYB Sunday in a couple hours. . .

    Paulie

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful blessing... I knew many friends that had baby blankets which they used for comfort when they had hard times... I was always a little envious as I didn't have one... but when you tack on the lineage of the blanket... it's truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:47 AM

    Such a bittersweet post. My girls both have blankets that are just begining to not be as important to them as they once were.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a beautiful post, Sandy. That baby blanket is such a treasure. How lovely that your daughter must feel the love her great grandmother put into that blanket. It's something she can treasure forever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. definitely a beautiful thing =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely post as always...you're such a wonderful writer! Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am speechless. This was just such a blessing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Indeed, what a beautiful thing! YOu made me tear up. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful post. I hope the blanket lasts for many generations yet.

    I have nominated your blog for the Brillante Weblog Premio 2008 Award.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the idea that, as long as you want it to, the blanket does exist :-) Take any blanket and it can be symbol of the one that was handed down.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.