Blog Your Blessings: The Eagles in the Summertime (Good Old)

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

This week's blessing is a Parks & Recreation concert at Hollow Park in Woodbury, Connecticut, that featured a local group called E-2 who performed The Eagles' best known songs. The atmosphere was great and the music was good. It was very nice to be among so many families and kids just having a good time. Listening took me back to a time and place when all things were possible and new. It was good to go there. After "Hotel California" came the finale, "Desperado":

Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy
She'll beat you if she's able

You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet


Now it seems to me, some fine things

Have been laid upon your table

But you only want the ones that you can't get


Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no younger

Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home

And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'

Your prison is walking through this world all alone


Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?

The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine

It's hard to tell the night time from the day

You're loosin' all your highs and lows

Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?


Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?

Come down from your fences, open the gate

It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you

You better let somebody love you, before it's too late


(Confession: The original post included a reference to "Stairway to Heaven" rather than "Hotel California." What a slip. That was my bad; thanks to the Bus Man for keeping me right!)

Post a Comment

28 Comments

  1. Another splendid post, Sandy. The photo is fine and the poem is really splendid.
    When I think that the Universe is 15 milliards years old, I realize how tiny and at the same time great we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved the melody but never really knew the lyrics. Thank you for sharing them. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great song snd great post....

    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:00 AM

    Hello Sandy! Thanks for dropping by at my WW! As I read the lyrics of Desperado, I was actually hearing the song in my head! I am sure you had a great time! It is a real blessing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:01 AM

    Great post. I wish I could blog some of my blessings too. Be it small or big, we should always thank the Lord for it.
    Thanks for sharing, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:03 AM

    There are two known Sandy and Sandee in the blogosphere. You and Sandee Comedy Plus. I adore both of you. Different styles but both are important.

    Me, I am just a Desperado...have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:04 AM

    I like the movie- Desperado. The theme song makes it better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the weather holds we have going to an open air concert at the local park... as it as rain most of the day and more forecast our fingers are crossed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Eagles. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Pappy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:14 PM

    A fine post and interesting comment. Thanks for dropping by my site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that last stanza.

    Glad you had such a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow - that is an amazing shot. there is no getting any closer in a macro then that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love concerts in the park! Sounds like you had a fabulous time!

    And yup! I could hear the song too, as I read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love every phase of a sunflower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did a short paper in college on this song! Their Desperado album is my favorite...

    I wanted to say that I really like your sunflower photo--I don't have single sunflower this year. I have no idea why. It is probably the first time 20 years that I haven't had some.

    And I wanted to tell you I sure enjoyed the new SWF blog...could you believe how many joined? And I haven't even checked the numbers today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember that song well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:07 PM

    Neat-one of my very favorite Eagles songs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Mom would have LOVED this! She is a big Eagles fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That photo is just gorgeous.

    Desperado, why don't you come to your senses....

    One of the best R&R songs ever written...thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry I wasn't up for BYB Sunday when you visited but enjoyed your comment about my sunset. I am finally up and ready.

    We both wrote about music in the park concerts as a blessing! Enjoyed recalling "your" Eagles songs/words. Mine is a well known band in the northwest and they do travel in the US but not as well knows as the Eagles.

    Come again and see my blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Egads! Turn in your 1970's card now!!! "Stairway to Heaven" is Led Zepplin!!! :)

    Is there anything better on a Summer night than a goodly concert? Our parks and rec guys (usually in concert with a radio station or the like,) do them every so often and yeah, it's a great treat to come and listen...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous2:15 PM

    It truly is a blessing to be able to go to events such as this one and simply be there, taking in all there is to take in with some pretty good music to set the tone.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Eagles? (Staggers under the weight of memories) It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... in short, very much like today's times :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent. It is amazing that they are still rocking on. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. brings me the good o' highschool memories! i've always like Eagles and their songs. especially Desperado, Take it to the limit, Lyin' eyes, I can't tell you why... or maybe i'll just say all of them!

    great post, sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wonderful photo; that song always makes me so sad

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I saw this I had to sing that song. One of the classics. Brilliant post - thank you. Real blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just wonderful Sandy! Great photo and such fine words to share. I am a big fan of the song Desperado...sang it many a time when I was singing on a semi-professional basis. It's a tune that haunts, isn't it?

    Thanks for including me on your blogroll too, much appreciated. Your blogs are some of my favs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.