You Love Who You Love

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

I love you, right? Why? Because I'm supposed to? No. Because I can't help it....You can train your mind and you can learn from experience--that's what growing up is--and you can take responsibility for your actions, but you can't make your heart behave....You love who you love. Don't ever apologize for that. Don't ever feel you have to. (Miles Roby [Ed Harris], Empire Falls)

Empire Falls (2005) is an HBO movie about small-town life starring everybody--Ed Harris, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Helen Hunt, Aiden Quinn...--that I watched over the past few nights. It was great. The above lines sum up Roby's raison d'etre as he expresses it to his teenaged daughter. I typed them up while I was watching because these words are beautiful.


Post a Comment

9 Comments

  1. Those are beautiful, wise words, Sandy. And as ever, a lush image is paired appropriately with the words.

    That film sounds excellent--what a cast! I love Ed Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree. We also like that movie in this house but partly because some parts of it were filmed in the small town in Maine where my in-laws live! That old arched bridge in the movie is the one we drive across the Kennebec river every time we go to visit them! I think they left the Empire Diner in the town of Skowhegan which is nearby. Nice post. It is a good story, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree totally. No one should apologise for loving. It is the most natural thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely rose and lovely quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good thought for starting a new day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic words and wonderful photo.
    I put your site in my blogroll with the name "Sandy Carlson" and the title "Writing in Faith".

    ReplyDelete
  7. so tender and wise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:41 AM

    I love this quote I heard it on Empire Falls & I've been looking everywhere for it! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.