Thursday Thirteen 39: Lines from George Carlin

Comedian George Carlin was a master of the obvious. His keen eye for the world around him and his gift for the best and fewest words to name his observations made him a master of understatement as well as of comedy. "In his always irreverent, often furious social commentary, in his observations of the absurdities of everyday life and language, and in groundbreaking routines like the profane “Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television,” he took aim at what he thought of as the palliating and obfuscating agents of American life — politicians, advertisements, religion, the media and conventional thinking of all stripes" (New York Times)."

Here are 13 lines that express his genius.

1. I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
2. Life....is a series of dogs.
3. "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
4. As a matter of principle, I never attend the first annual anything.
5. Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
6. Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
7. I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
8. I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect.
9. It's never just a game when you're winning.
10. Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.
11. There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.
12. There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
13. Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?

Thursday Thirteen

Post a Comment

44 Comments

  1. I've always loved what you have for #1!!

    By popular demand: Jefé is back with 13 bits of aged wisdom! Come on over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great lines. It was so sad that he passed. He was an amazing comedian. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:42 PM

    Aw, they all made me laugh! So sad that we lost such an amazing comedian.

    Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never liked Carlin, actually couldn't stand him. I never saw what all the attention was about with him.

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was pretty funny!

    http://www.chelleyoung.com/index.php/archive/thursday-thirteen-115-thirteen-things-i-can-see-in-my-family-room-right-now/

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can say the truth but you musy smile when you do

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:31 PM

    I always enjoyed him. It was because he crossed the line that I liked him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:44 PM

    These are very fun - and I actually laughed at a few - although I didn't keep track. It's funny. I always thought of him as offensive. Thanks for sharing a different perspective - you're good at that.

    I guess the moon howls now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've lost an amazing talent.

    Peace - D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:02 PM

    I love George! These brought back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He was brilliant. Thank you for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah George... you will be missed... I loved A Place for my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great theme for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice list. Gotta love good old George.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great mind. The world is a little bit less well off without him in it.

    On the other hand, though, I wonder if someone will be able to fill the void we're now left with. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband was a fan of his. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:18 PM

    Two people, same great idea.

    I did longer bits--and we only had one of the same!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The comment you left on my Thursday Thirteen was sensitive and thoughtful, which I appreciate very much, so I had to come over and visit. Your blog is quite interesting. It's especially to find thoughts on faith which is a too often neglected subject.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He was a genius for sure. its so tragic that he died so young. I also added one of his lines to my quotes this week.
    great post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the quotes. He was a funny man.

    ReplyDelete
  21. He sure was funny in the early days. Recently though, he seemed to be a chronic complainer. May he rest in peace. Happy TT my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah. I'm going to miss him. I love his perspectives on golf. CRACKS me up every time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw him in person as a kid but his humor was a little old for me

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh, I LOVE #2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, those thirteen quotes really made me laugh. I guess I should be thanking George Carlin. I especially love #5.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous2:46 AM

    What a great list of quotes. Comedy will never be the same. :(
    Thanks for gathering some of his best lines.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great TT!

    George will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous5:45 AM

    Such a sad loss. People who can make us laugh are rare and greatly needed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous6:11 AM

    I love not attending the first annual of anything on principal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. On my 12 hour drive to Florida on Monday I tuned into some XM comedy stations and listened to a lot of George Carlin. He was brilliant...and with him, nothing was sacred.

    I read that this Saturday night Saturday Night Live is going to rebroadcast its premiere show which Carlin hosted.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous9:27 AM

    Smart AND funny go well together. The man is so quotable. I did a list of quotes from Billy Collins this week, another smart funny guy. I think poets (and some preachers) are a lot like stand up comics.

    My 13 playlist is playing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. George Carlin was my older brother's favorite comedian. We'll miss George.

    ReplyDelete
  33. He was a comedic genius and will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  34. He did have a way with words, didn't he?

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loved him in the Kevin Smith films!

    Mines up as well!
    Hubbys having a give away at his blog at www.valtool.blogspot.com

    Hope you will visit us both!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was really bummed to learned he passed away.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great TT. I, too, loved A Place For My Stuff. But my all time favorite line of George's was "...could be meat...could be cake...it's meatcake!"

    Come by and see my lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've always loved George Carlin's tomato shtick the best - "they're not finished yet. They're still in the laaaaarval stage." Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Could be meat. Could be cake. It looks like...meatcake!

    So many bright lights going out lately. Thanks for the Carlin list. Loved #11 and #13 best.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Interesting 13. Mine is Eat, Drink and be Merry - 13 Last Words, Excerpt: Judaism instructs us to enjoy the simple gifts that God gives in the present world. Eat, drink and be merry. Enjoy this life, on this Earth, in this time. I have collected for your enjoyment the last words of some of our more famous fellow human beings involving food or drink before they died.

    ReplyDelete
  41. this was fun and a nice tribute. i just discovered Carlin a few months ago. when Olberman interviewed him on msnbc and then check him out on YouTube. funny guy. but wise too. always a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous10:36 AM

    I love this list. And please don't tell me I'm crazy (I already know that anyway) if I confess that I think #6 is a winner. I agree to #7 too.

    ReplyDelete
  43. i am surprised you could find 13 lines he said that you could post on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.