Ask the Cow

There are dog people--out-going, plain-speaking, and down-to-earth--and there are cat people--reticent, removed, watching carefully from the shadows. And there are fish people--silent observers who delight in the mysteries of the deep--and there are bird people--dreamers enchanted by all that is or seems to be exotic.

And there are donkey people, goat people, chicken people, insect people, cow people....

Author Rita M. Reynolds is a cow person. And a dog person and a cat, donkey, goat, chicken, insect, person. In fact she's an every-living-thing person whose animal sanctuary in Batesville, Virginia contains so much life, she could populate a Compassion Zodiac.

Animal people respect animals as friends, companions, fellow-travelers in this magical world, and as teachers. Who doesn't spend some time playing ball with the dog after a long day at work? Who doesn't mark the beginning, middle, and end of every day by walking the dog? Who doesn't introduce their baby to a puppy so that the child can learn kindness, warmth, empathy? Oops, there I go. I'm a dog person and I'm speaking for myself. The point is, though, that we choose the animals in our lives--or, more accurately, they choose us--based on our dispositions and our needs and our capacity to love. Animal people know, and delight in knowing, that we are part of this world, not keepers of it.

Rita's tremendous capacity to love led her to Batesville so many years ago to care for animals in need of care for any reason at all. She provides them with a safe and loving place. Her previous book, Blessing the Bridge, is her story of the lessons on living and dying that animals have taught her over the years. Her quarterly magazine, LaJoie & Co., shares the lessons she and others learn from our animal companions. These works are lessons in grace.

She met her bovine friend Christina when Christina came calling at the sanctuary. This friendship was the cow's choice. The farmer who had felt he owned the cow saw things differently, though, and he brought the cow back to his place against Christina's wishes after she walked away the first time. The farmer had yet to learn: it was the cow's choice; Christina made her way back to Rita. Happily, the farmer caught on and gave up, and Rita and Christina have been together ever since.

Ask the Cow is Rita's story of their time together so far. This lovely, delightfully insightful book is Rita's spiritual memoir of her relationship with her special friend and teacher. By spending time with Christina and being open to Christina's beautiful way of seeing the world, Rita has learned even greater kindness, compassion, humility, love. (I have known Rita for 10 years and have been reading her work for as long; I would not have thought it was possible for any person to love more--but it is.) Each of the 30 chapters describes in clear, honest prose one of Christina's lessons on living humbly and compassionately. The book is full of gentle humor and imagery that places the reader right in the barn with these two faithful companions.

I found myself slowing down as I approached the end of the book only to defer ending it. I was happy in that barn, and I was learning plenty. But an important lesson of the book is to take the lessons out of the barn and into the larger world and to live in, with, for, from, by, and out of love in everything. Anyway, the barn will be there, and so will Rita and Christina, should I come back to learn again the lessons of this bovine sage and the gentle woman who has given her wisdom to the world.

Post a Comment

15 Comments

  1. {{{Oh, Sandy}}}

    This is a MUST read for me.
    I can tell.

    My happiest moments in each day are in the barn. Or out in the pasture, with the animals.

    Thank you for this post.........I need a new, great read.

    Much~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think of yourself as a cow person I live w/ some fish people I think I am a dog person by your definition-- I love my memories of life in the barn at a family friends house

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a cow person but I like the story. I am not a cat person either because cats give me allegies. But my family are animal lovers. When my kids were growing up we had all kinds of pets in our house -gold fish, hampsters, birds and dogs. Our dogs remain and live w/ us for years but the others were just passing creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this woman already! i definitely have to go out and get this book....i have such a weak heart when it comes to animals...they tend to be my achilles' heel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing! i also love animals but more of dogs and cats only. here in the philippines, people are less likely to treat cows as a pet because primarily they are made for meat. i might love her story.

    they say people who loves animals are the most caring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been more of a goat person than a cow person, but maybe that's just because I've known more goats. I think I have to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to look for this book. So many animals are wise, gentle and loving. I spent a summer on a farm and the cows were treated with love and kindness. They returned that love just as a family pet would. The memories of those beautiful cows are very dear to me. It pains me greatly to hear of the mistreatment of cattle like the monstrosities done at the Hallmark slaughterhouse in Southern California.
    Sandy, thank you for letting us know about this author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a cow person through and through. She's my new guru!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw at weekend a most horrible documentary, narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, about how humans (mis)treat the animals. I am still shocked, since I am one of those trying to save the animals from the streets, and sheltering them. We have so much to learn from the animals... I'd like to read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Louis", being une vache approves of Cow Stories! :-)

    At San Francisco Bay Daily Photo, "Louis" continued the theme of his "S" post with the "T" post. HERE is how he did it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for introducing me to Rita and Christina. I'm on the hunt now for her book.
    Your words made me glad for all the animals I've known and a bit sad too. Mysterious creatures, yes?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, I must buy that book now! Lovely description, Sandy.

    Your friend sounds like a lovely lovely person. Her cow does too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:03 PM

    Hello - thank you for visiting my blog - I'm a little slow.

    This post was beautiful. I haven't read such a wonderful book review in a long time. I will go out and get this book because of your review.

    My daughter is an animal lover and she demonstrated this at a very young age. They are neat people those animals lovers. She is all the things you said they are; although I haven't figured out which animal(s) she is yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for a wonderful review! This sounds like a great book to add to my collection. I love all animals, but if I had to characterize myself I'd say I'm definitely a cat person. I read Linda Mohr's memoir about her relationship with her cat Tatianna and was really touched by it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.