Thursday Thirteen No. 32: Mary Oliver's 'Red Bird'

"Are you familiar with the poetry of Mary Oliver?" I asked a student once in the hope of beginning a conversation on the poem "Wild Geese," a gem that contains the lines

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

en route to the statement "Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,/the world offers itself to your imagination."

This was the line I wanted in the hope of beginning a conversation on inspiration.


"I think so," the young woman squinted, the better to scan a distant memory. "I think that's that woman who writes about, like, her dog, Percy, I think and trees. That her?"

"You can start there," I said. "And you will get to Mary Oliver."

Because Mary Oliver's poetry is about this moment in this world in this light in this weather, alone or with the dog or on the way to something or nothing. It's about being here and loving it.

I believe, there is nothing worth saying about Mary Oliver beyond that. Better to spend the time reading her work or revisiting the magic of the landscape of your life through her words.

Her new collection Red Bird is her 12th volume of published poems. Here she speaks to the beauty of the ordinary, the environment, and the people of the world who suffer at the hands of those who love power.

The world offers itself to your imagination. Accept the invitation and walk with this wonderful woman from Provincetown, Massachusetts.

May these 13 lines tantalize you:

1. "I am a God-fearing feeder of birds./I know he has many children,/not all of them bold in spirit." (from "Red Bird")

2. "I see you in all your seasons/making love, arguing, talking about God/as if he were an idea instead of the grass,/instead of the stars, the rabbit caught/in one good teeth-whacking hit and brought/home to the den." (From "Straight Talk from Fox")

3. "...I will live/nowhere except here, by Ocean, trusting/equally in all the blast and welcome/of her sorrowless, salt self." (From "Ocean")

4. "Because, Sir, you have given [the panther],/for your own reasons,/everything that he needs:/leaves, food, shelter;/a conscience/ that never blinks." (From "With the Blackest of Inks")


5. "It is a serious thing/just to be alive/on this fresh morning/in this broken world." (From "Invitation")

6. "The ripeness/of the apple/is its downfall." (From "The Orchard")


7. "How many small, available things/are in this world/that aren't/pieces of gold/or power--/that nobody owns/or could buy even/for a hillside of money--/that just float around the world...." (From "Summer Story")


8. "I listen hard/to the exuberances/of the mockingbird and the owl,/the waves and the wind./And then, like peace after perfect speech,/ such stillness." (From "The Teachers")

9. "Books? says Percy. I ate one once, and it was enough./Let's go." (From "Percy and Books (Eight)")

10."Let the world/have its way with you,/luminous as it is/with mystery/and pain--/graced as it is/with the ordinary." (From "Summer Morning")

11. "About tomorrow, who knows anything,/Except that it will be time, again,/for the deepening and quieting of the spirit."(From "Swimming, One Day in August")

12. "So come to the pond,/or the river of your imagination,/or the harbor of your longing,/and put your lips to the world./And life/your life." (From "Morning at Blackwater")

13. “I am both of the earth and I am of the inexplicable/beauty of heaven/where I fly so easily, so welcome, yes/and this is why I have been sent, to teach this to your heart.” (From “Red Bird Explains Himself”)

Post a Comment

41 Comments

  1. This is the first I have heard of her, and your list leaves me intrigued! Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I need to go back and read this when I'm not brain-dead from cold medication.

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of her before, but there's some great lines there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I'm always wanting to read new authors, and I love poetry.

    Come on over, my 13 is funny this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:45 PM

    I learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of her before your post. Thanks for the introduction. #9 (Percy on books) made me smile. Thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:26 PM

    High five for theme rebellion!

    Thank you for this. I struggle with poetry - I only understand it if it's spoken. Otherwise, I don't get it. I know Mary Oliver - my friend Oriah loves her and recites her to me sometimes - but I don't know these lines.

    Once again, I learn something great here

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of her prior to now. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not familiar with her. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely poetry! I've never heard of her, either, but that's not surprising. I'm so wrapped up in fiction, I'm surprised I've heard of anything else these days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, cool stuff:) Happy TT my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've taught lots of people today. I did not know Mary Oliver, but she reminds me of my friend, Emily D, who also wrote about nature. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something new and intriguing!! I liked the quotes, I'll have to look for these!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:46 PM

    Number 12 really spoke to me... Thanks for letting me know she has a new collection available. I adore her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clever topic! I enjoyed your T13!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:49 PM

    I love #1. What a great line.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never really gotten into poetry, I think I just like the idea of a novel better, but I do like it when people highlight lines/phrases of poetry that mean something to them. Those are very beautiful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous11:25 PM

    She is a nun of the wild outdoors. I heard she walks for 3-4 hours a day. This was very enjoyable. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. me too first time --and I did not go w/ the theme either but tried to fit it in

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a really interesting and unusual post :)

    I didnt know which blog to put at first but looks like a picked the right one yay!

    Thanks for stopping by my place to my thirteen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful set of 13. I will have to get one of her books sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous7:56 AM

    Wisdom! I say there's wisdom in all the lines. I especially love #5 and 6.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And we are the most amazing animals, aren't we?

    I really enjoyed this post!

    Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, Sandy, we share a love of Mary Oliver! Nature and water and sky and love and so much more... Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are very interesting! I have not heard of Mary Oliver before. Thanks for stopping by my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hadn't heard of her before. I like number five :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have not hear of her before. Her work sounds very interesting to me and I'm going to look for her new book. Thank for the TT, very interesting. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:23 AM

    as we head out for an endurance ride (my first... gazi (arabian horse's 22).. thanx... i needed that. :)

    blessings
    Phil 4:13
    gp in montana

    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you for posting those. i must buy this book!

    she
    http://www.shebecameabutterfly.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. What beautiful words. I particularly liked #5.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've always liked her!!

    Thanks for the great lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hadn't heard of her. I giggled on #9 and can totally relate to #11. Great TT

    ReplyDelete
  33. hey sandy! how are you? it's been a long time... i hope you're doing well. have not been joining memes lately.

    i came here to give you sonething,
    http://mlizcochico.blogspot.com/2008/05/worlds-greatest-mom.html

    happy mothers' day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've never heard of her before, but I loved your quotes.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous6:30 PM

    Oooo! Poetry! I'm familiar with her work, but obviously I need to read more.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Mary Oliver is one of my favorite nature writers!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is some gorgeous stuff - thank you very much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I need to get one of her books. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Never heard of her before - but I'll look out for her work now.#5,#6 and#13 my favourites.

    Lovely. I have just started a morning in the garden with the birds. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.