The Extraordinary, Ordinary Lindberghs

At a program at Wisdom House on May 10 that explored her memories of her mother, author Reeve Lindbergh recounted the extraordinary and the ordinary in her experiences of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, who was an aviation pioneer and a writer as well as a mother of five children.

Anne and her husband Charles, were a spirited couple with a shared passion for life. Charles and Anne imbued in their children compassion, confidence, curiosity and a spirit of adventure and fun.


Reeve's contribution to the Lindbergh's story is to translate it for us, to demythologize her parents, to make them real, to take us into the Lindbergh living room on a Sunday afternoon and genuinely feel part of the family as her father makes his lists and moves with economy and precision and her mother steps out into her small writing studio to work. Reeve's stories take you home.

Many of the 50 women in the room shared a personal connection with the family, with the family's story, or with the books of Anne Morrow Lindbergh. (I have one, too--my mother went to school with Scott Lindbergh, and my great-grandfather was the family's plumber.)


For my mother I bought a copy of
No More Words, Reeve's memoir of caring for her mother during the last year of Anne's life. Leafing through it during a coffee break, I read Reeve's words about her mother's helping her through the death of her son Jonny, who died of encephalitis before he was two: "At the time of my son's death, when I asked my mother what would happen to me as the mother of the child, how that part of me would continue, she said, 'It doesn't. You die,that's all. That part of you dies with him. And then, amazingly, you are reborn.'"

Only a New Englander could have written that, I thought as I read it--terse, true, straight, and clearly focused on the kind of surviving that leads to thriving. And then I thought: Only a wise and compassionate mother could speak thus to her daughter; and only a genuine soul could give the words away.

Reeve Lindbergh makes the adventure, the mystery, the romance, and the sorrow of her extraordinary family seem ordinary. Perhaps they are. Perhaps those passions exist within each of us though only in some of us do they ever take flight.

Reeve Lindbergh reflects on her mother, Ann Morrow Lindbergh.

Reeve Lindbergh talks about her father, Charles Lindberg.

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. I just love reading you, Sandy.
    You brighten my outlook and feed me spiritually.

    Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    Much~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:43 PM

    So well written, Sandy! I love people who aren't afraid to be real. I believe that may be partially what's missing in people nowadays. There are far too many people who are either afraid, or unable, to be honest and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super post on the Linberghs family.
    I admire Ann Morrow writting over the years and the story of her life. Since I am often revive with life on the beach, my favorite book is "Gifts From The Sea." A year ago my husband and I had a wonderful trip to Captiva Island, in the Florida Gulf Coast. Ann Morrow wrote this famous book on this beautiful island. It was an inspiring and unforgettable trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very interesting read but i'm not on the mood of reading yet as of this time maybe because of the summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written post as always Sandy. The Linbergh family were a inspiration to all of us. True pioneers of their time, with a great joie de vivre and not afraid to follow their dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:54 PM

    You die,that's all. That part of you dies with him. And then, amazingly, you are reborn.

    I guess that's really the only choice that we have-children, parents, grandparents, best friends. Somehow we keep going, seemingly in slow motion, then a bit faster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:28 AM

    very beautiful post again. very touching

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an amazing quote. So direct, but so true, and containing a real hope for the future.
    And it encapsulates the idea of death and rebirth at the heart of all religion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fortunate to meet Reeve Lindberg. I enjoyed reading your post as well. Thanks for sharing something very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a long time we collected all copies of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, but the entire family possesses a certain strength, and je n'est ce quoi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this. I love learning something new and you make that possible with your posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well written.

    I don't know why I have never added you to my "Check it Out - Favorites" Blog roll before. I am adding you now, I really like your blog. You will be a regular read from now on.

    Thanks for the
    SWF visit today,
    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a very different view of the Lindbergh kidnapping and the real tragedy of this case, after reading extensively about what is now believed to have really happened to the Lindbergh baby. Shocking and disturbing.

    Further reading at:

    http://www.lindberghkidnappinghoax.com/

    If readers take the time to read all the evidence, the facts speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.