Blog Your Blessings: Graffiti

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. (George Lois)

Part of my fascination with graffiti is its anonymous nature. A writer's tag is not his name but his pen name. Graffiti refuses all assumptions about context. You may not deconstruct the work in terms of the creator's life; you can only take it in as a part of your own. In this way, graffiti is pure gift. When you look at a piece, it's all about you--even as it challenges notions of control (some might call it stability) by being big, edgy, and bright, and unsanctioned in a social landscape that defines itself by being clean and gray and dull. It's about you and

My little photo show at a cafe in Cheshire recreates that immediate, enveloping experience of being anonymous and in the art. These pieces are from Connecticut, primarily. They are gifts from the lives of some folks I have the privilege of meetings, but most are the works of strangers. I could tell visitors where they are from, and they could wonder how a lush suburb in Connecticut could sport a graffito of a dead man. Or that Connecticut could host so many abandoned toxic industrial sites (brown fields) that draw people to paint.


It is remarkable to me that artists will risk life and limb and their own health by standing for hours on toxic ground to paint pictures that may not ever be seen by anyone other than themselves. What is so compelling--so utterly unstoppable--about the creative process that being known for one's art, receiving credit for one's work, and perhaps cashing in on one's talent don't even figure into the conversation?


I'm grateful to my friends and family who came out to support me in presenting all that I find beautiful in this art. I am equally grateful to the many in the bunch who over the years have challenged me about my respect for this art that is to many simply a form of vandalism. They have caused me to think hard, to think openly, to entertain opposition, and to love an honest conversation. They are all my teachers. And I'm grateful for the opportunity to meet fellow blogger Digital Flower Pictures. Thanks to Mary, too, for her supportive email, which I received just as I headed out the door. I know some extraordinary, good folks, and I love them all.


If graffiti messes things up, it messes up the way we think things should be and how we identify the ordinary. To my mind, it's a delightful and beautiful mess that points to the extraordinary beauty in each of us.

Post a Comment

20 Comments

  1. YOu have given graffiti a lot more thought than I had. But hten again we don't have any up here in the northwoods. I have to go to Milwaukee or Chicago to see graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy for the mention in your post. I'm glad your showing was a success! And I realize I spelled "graffiti" wrong in my message to you. And you know I try never to spell anything wrong! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog, unhappily I have absolutely no time for reading...but my favourite photo is the Bullseye...
    Graffiti...sometimes I hate it, sometimes it's even decorative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I've tagged you! Come see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, I am so happy that things went so well for you. You know, I have never considered graffiti before and I think it is wonderful that it speaks to you so. That to me is what art is all about. Something that speaks to you deeply and then you share it. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:42 PM

    Congratulations!
    You are a good artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:21 AM

    interesting graffiti! nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandy,

    It was nice meeting you and your husband. I have put up a review of your show on my site.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:37 AM

    The greatness about the show is your eye as a photographer and how you see the pieces of the pieces you've photographed, and then what you leave the viewer to see...just like a graffiti artist.

    Photos and review at www.jumpback.us

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it has its time, and place, but does contain at times a strong message that reflects our current times. The examples you post are always intriguing! Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No surprise, I have to agree with Sue... after watching them spend hours and loads of money scrubbing off tags and some "not-so-choice" words and crude illustrations from a local public school here that had been painted on by people who I doubt would qualify as "Urban Artists"... and the thousands of dollars that needed to be spent when taggers went to town in a local cemetery... I can't say "YAY GRAFFITI!"... but I'm glad your show did well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. graffiti can reveal ones personality and emotions. this was is clearly seen from the face of the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two of the things that graffiti consistently says to me are "I am" and "screw you!" Sadly, the type I almost always see is the "tag" variety, so only the "screw you!" aspect is clear.

    Sometimes, when I'm driving around and glowing signs that proclaim "Drugs" or "Starbucks" are invading my thoughts I have to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well said, and you make an excellent argument for graffiti! It's good to be back and read your wise words again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Graffito? I learn something every time I visit your blog.

    I have started noticing the graffito on the train cars as they go by, my town is crisscrossed by RRs. Some of them are pretty, some of them are graphic, some of them make me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I could have attended the show. Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had an interesting show Sandy. I always think graffiti is like most other things and artforms in life. The beauty is there if we take the time and trouble to look for it. This is such a fascinating art form. Nice photo Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In Tokyo there isn't much Graffiti at all. It's a city that takes much pride and great pains in striving for cleanliness but every now and then down the narrowest of corridors and longest allies there are morsels of thought provoking graffiti which does nothing more than defiantly declare "I'M HERE." "I MADE IT." It IS a gift. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely hate graffiti. It is vandalism and disrespectful to the business owners and tax paying public. I find it despicable and a hideous eyesore, no matter how "beautiful".

    Now, if these taggers were to gain the permission of a store owner and do a mural or other decoration I'd have no problem with it. In fact there's a store in my town who allows people to "draw" and it looks pretty cool. But he gave them permission and therefore it is not vandalism.

    Vandalism is rude and against the law. My friend had taggers paint her brand new fence with all kinds of hideous gang symbols. That's not art. That's disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the combination of the shapes of the graffiti and the shadows of the tree.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.