Blog Your Blessings: Buddha's Birthday

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Last Sunday afternoon we marked the birthday of the Buddha at the Dae Yen Sa International Buddhist Temple and Meditation Center in New Hartford, Connecticut, with our friend, Buddhist Priest Brian Vaugh, who shared some ideas about the significance of the birthday. It was a well-spent afternoon.

Brian began by asking if there really was a baby Buddha, if it mattered that there ever was, and if it might matter if a real baby Buddha were brought into the temple there and then. The point: Why do we care and, if we do, what are we doing to show we care? Buddhists, he said, are defined by what they do, not by what they believe.

Brian told the story of the young man who became the Buddha from the time of his extraordinary birth to the moment he realized he must spend his life alleviating the suffering of others in the world. Buddha forewent a life of comfort, ease, and luxury in favor of a life and of service. In fact, when he woke up to the needs of the world, he walked away from everything in favor of service.

This was despite his father's attempts to keep this son inside the palace, to shield him from all pain and suffering in the world that the young man might focus on continuing his father's legacy of conquest, power, and wealth. The young man thought for himself and made his own choices.

Though I have heard this story many times before, Brian's telling brought to me a new insight. Though the ancient stories of the Buddha's birth often freight that moment with portentous signs, the Buddha did not become the Buddha until he chose to. This enlightenment was an active, conscious, thoughtful choice informed by a full and open heart.

That, as Brian pointed out, is the choice any one of us can make. The various accidents of fate that combine to make each of our lives distinct shape our hearts and our minds and may effect the likelihood of our choosing a life of giving or of taking, but the choice is the same for each of us, regardless of who we are. The Buddha story comes to us again and again in our literature. Most recently, Brian would argue, in the likes of Harry Potter. Farther back, I would argue, in the likes of Jesus Christ.

I believe the power of the Jesus story is the same as the power of the Buddha story; though Jesus was poor and obscure, he made a choice that shook the world with kindness. The power of the story is in the nature of the choice. To say that Jesus had no choice is to miss the point that the Son of Man is the Son of God is the heart of goodness is a Bodhisattva.

This of course leaves it up to each of us to become the Buddha. Rather than outsource compassion, become it.

What's your story, Buddha baby?


Post a Comment

22 Comments

  1. Anonymous5:32 AM

    I saw your heard or story. The power of the Jesus story is the same as the power of the Buddha story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'rather than outsource compassion, become it' What a great suggestion Sandy. In small, quiet ways, I have tried to live my life for the most part, in keeping with this concept of caring and kindness. What a wonderful post, as usual.

    www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. your words are a true blessing! I always enjoy coming here and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah now Sandy you know a little of my story! I find this fascinating as my father became a Buddhist (Theravadan school - Zen Buddhist - monastery attached to Shasta Abbey, California) many years ago. It was through a disillusionment with "Christianity" and a searching for his own truth. As a Christian, I naturally fine this sad as I still think dad believes a great deal of the Christian ethos, but nonetheless, introduced me at an early age to Buddhism, the story of Shakyamuni (sp?) and so on I agree with you that it is missing the point to say that Jesus had no choice.

    Especialy from my point of view that Jesus did have a choice - my beliefs are that he volunteered to do this (no being could be forced to take on such a task or responsibility - God gave men and angels free will). With regard to the "giving up everything", I believe again that Jesus' example is the greatest. He was an angel, spirit being, in heaven with god prior to his human birth. He was the son of god even then and had all the privileges associated with this. He gave all that up to come to earth as a human, for us.

    Sorry, I have rambled. I just found it so interesting, especially the parallels and my father's experiences.

    Any way, now the bad new. I am afraid I have TAGGED you with a meme - come over mine agin and see. (Sorry!)Thank you for your great comments on mine - I miss you too when you get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember if I told you, we visited the city of ten thousand buddhas last sunday. we got there right after the birthday celebration. My camera was not working as well as yours but I should post my photos which would compliment this of yours perfectly.

    ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks to this sandy coz i have a short knowledge about buddha because there are very few buddhas here.

    i really like the last phrase on Jesus.

    what's good is people like them become popular for doing the right thing.

    the christians and the buddhist have the best models for righteousness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The similarities between all the major religious figures, regardless of culture, speak to me of a deep spiritual or psychological centre that is shared by all.
    The life path is that of the Hero of most ancient mythologies, as identifed in the 'hero archetype' in Jungian psychology, and particularly highlighted in Joseph Campbell's interpretation of mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read Siddhartha, Sandy? Happy Birthday, Buddha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy, I'm not a big fan of the Buddhist philosophy, but I do agree that it has some parallels with Christianity. It is so many galaxies away in so many ways though.

    I have a surprise for you on my blog. Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Buddha had many truths and I think it is good to honor those mystics who have truly been enlightened on some level.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No matter what religion, we need to acknowledge God. I acknowledge Jesus as my Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this a suggestion (a very good one,) or a request for our stories of being compassionate rather than witnessing compassion? :)

    A goodly blessing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Sandy! Last Sunday for Mother's Day I received a gift of a beautiful hand carved wooden Buddha from my eldest daughter. It is a wonderful approach to life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Enlightenment, compassion translate to every religion. The analogy of the Buddha baby is one that everyone should be able to relate to in their individual spiritual journies. And if everyone actually did strive for that stuff, imagine where the world might be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The story of Buddha is indeed a great one, and one from which all of us should learn many invaluable lessons!

    Have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:20 AM

    This is a great, inspiring post, Sandy. Thanks for this.

    Have a blessed week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Sandy and I love the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is a powerful post. The women in my life have had powerful things to say to me this week: the minister at church, Emily Dickinson, you, my friend the minister. All of you are telling me over and over again: we are doing this together and we have choices to help or turn our backs. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely photo and message.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Though I have not been able to call myself a Buddhist as of yet, I am very enthralled by its philosophy. This was a great story. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. no need or no words i get to write after i saw your blog , nice blog , i suppose are you very busy with your work ,these lines is saying by your work , nice work you have done.

    keep it up in forward direction

    god bless you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous7:30 AM

    I lived in Japan for more than 10 years so I know some 'Buddha stories'. I like that way of life, never that far from Christianity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.