Thursday Thirteen No. 28: Accepting Charity

As an English teacher, I have often been required to teach students about politically correct language--what proponents of the stuff might call language free of bias. While some adjustments to our usage are useful and important, others are downright absurd. This is always the case when we have to talk about subjects that make us uncomfortable. We trade accurate, specific words for vague ones not to protect the dignity of the people we're talking about but to keep our distance from them.

Consider words connected to poverty. We have transformed the poor into people in need, the abused into people in crisis, and the mentally ill into people with issues. We have reduced charity to mere financial support.


Though these days the word charity refers to assisting the poor, it has its roots in love. Charity appears in the King James version of the Bible as a synonym of agape, or brotherly, love. I like this meaning of the word; it is kind and generous, free of the negative connotations that come with the contemporary use of the word. Bringing the ideas of compassion and love together results in the definition of a generous love for a friend, not some nameless person in need with issues.

Here are 13 passages from the King James Version of the Bible that include the word charity where more recent translations say love.

1. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. (1 Corinthians 8:1)

2. Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. (1Corinthians 13:1)

3. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)

4. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:3)

5. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not... (1 Corinthians 13:4)

6. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.(1 Corinthians 13:8)

7. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. (1 Corinthians 13:13)

8. Let all your things be done with charity. (1 Corinthians 16:14)

9. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.(Colossians 3:14)

10. Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned. (1 Timothy 1:5)

11. And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.(1 Peter 4:8)

12. Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity.... (1 Peter 5:14)

13. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.(2 Peter 1:7)

More at Thursday Thirteen

Photo: The door to the compartment at Topsmead in Litchfield, Connecticut, where the very wealthy Edith Chase would leave food for travelers who needed refreshment along the way.

Post a Comment

53 Comments

  1. Whether we call it love or charity, I'll take it wherever I can get it, and give it whenever I can! Happy TT!
    TM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many, many words have changed into mere echoes of the original meaning.

    Add the influence of "political correctness" and nothing is ever the same any more, nothing means what it did, and who knows what people are really saying now...

    Smiles,

    Holly
    http://theabundanceplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way so many words change over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100% with ornery's wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list idea Sandy! I always think of the word as meaning loving gift.

    Happy TT and have a great rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stared at the photo a long while before I read your TT post Sandy. Then I read about it after reading the post. I loved your post and the little cubby is beautiful! ((((hugs!))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:20 PM

    Boy, I've thought a lot about charity. It's nice to see what hte bible says. I know so many people who consider themselves charitable but really do it to prop up their own ego. Sometimes altruism and selfishness are hard to sort out.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely list! I rarely think of love as charity but we should. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post. Lovely Scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love you blog.. would you like to trade links?

    Vhiel
    Can of Thoughts
    Anything and Everything in Between

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't thought of the evolution of the word charity, but you're right.

    Thanks for spurring my brain into action tonight! It needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many of us give these days out of a sense of obligation or duty, and a feeling of love, or friendship, or all being in the same boat, never enters into it. Too bad.
    Really enjoyed reading your list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely and very thought provoking post! Thanks for sharing. I don't know if you've read it, but Elizabeth Edwards wrote a book called "Saving Graces: Finding Solace and Strength from Friends and Strangers" and she talks about how empowering it can be to accept kindness and charity as to give it. A moving book that literally changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great post, and great comments to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list. I think that when you understand what charity is or means, it is interchangeable with "love" and I haven't a problem with that word changing in the bible, BUT, unfortunately, as you say, the word "charity" no longer conveys the same meaning in this 21st century. It usually evokes a feeling of pity. Charity or love does not involve pity. Both require action through compassion and love for a fellow human being, whether they be "in need" or not.

    Very thought provoking Sandy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My library has several versions of the Bible--but none is more dear to me than the King James. The verses I committed to memory as a child are from that version. Thanks for the uplifting TT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:44 PM

    The love behind the gift can make a huge difference to both the person who gives and the one who receives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charity is something I think our society (me included!) need to work on big time! Wonderful TT post :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent 13. When my youngest was dying and my dh was unemployed, we learned about asking for help and accepting charity gracefully. It was overwhelming how many people helped us during that time. All gifts from God.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the richness of having so many words,like charity, and I hate the "dumbing-down" of our literature-including the multitude of modern Bible translations that don't consider specific meanings as important. I'm all for updating versions as language changes, but I hate trading complex words for simple when it affects the meaning of the passage. A great TT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great list. A real eye opener:) Happy TT my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is charity giving with and out of love? And what is this life about but giving. Love isn't love til you give it away. Thanks for the post. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  23. that was awesome Sandy i love that you are unafraid to share your faith

    ReplyDelete
  24. a very good point. I know for me charity usually constitutes writing a check to an organization I'll never visit or hope I'll never need, just so I can feel like I've helped out, which sadly embodies exactly what you're saying with this post.

    It's always interesting how language evolves over time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I like the simplicity of "love" instead of "charity".

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  26. #7 is the one I was looking for on your list! Glad to see it there. I learned it as "charity."

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was talking about the new Hymnals in church with another person just the other day. I hate that they've taken some of the traditional hymns and made them "gender neutral". I do not feel threatened to sing "he" "him" or "his". It's just absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous1:14 AM

    I like the Purim tradition on Charity.

    The best kind is when the giver and the recepient don't know who gave what where.

    My T-13 here

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love all the verses about love, the love that really reaches out to others to know them and care about them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous5:57 AM

    So many people are charitable only for a tax break or to make themselves look good. When the goal is personal, it takes something away from the act.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Amazing how words -or their connotation - change over time. This is a very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous8:23 AM

    In charity, I hope your Yankees win tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful post and thought provoking, as always.

    I can't stand the word "issues" in relation to anything except magazines; D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sandy, Vinny and I are godparents in the Episcopalian church though we are not members. They never questioned us about faith or anything. They were welcoming with open arms.

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a wonderful, inspirering T13 post.. I"m so glad I stopped by today

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous9:24 AM

    I like this blog veru much.
    Here we do learn.

    ReplyDelete
  37. this is such a great English lesson, and not only, for me!

    ReplyDelete
  38. i personally like number 11.

    charity is selflessness.

    charity is to living for others.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very very good post! Happy t-13!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous1:30 PM

    Well written and a valuable lesson shared. I love your writing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great verses, Sandy! I think it all boils down to the fact that we need to be showing love to others.

    ReplyDelete
  42. that was a really great idea for a thursday thirteen post!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a very endearing post today for TT, I am so glad I came and the background music so peaceful. I really needed that.
    I had fun visiting your TT.
    Mine is at The Cafe.
    Hope you'll drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  44. One hopes that charity is given in its purest form. I'm enough of a pragmatist to be accepting of charity even when it's given for egocentric reasons. The act of charity still gets to the person needing it. Perhaps if the self-centered giver does it long enough, he or she will have their a-ha moment.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I learnt my Bible at my mother's knee - and she would have loved this post.

    Especially your mention of ``Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.''

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous4:12 PM

    Mercy is a good word too.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great list, Sandy! mine's up too... Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I Corinthians 13 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sandy: Lovely post, I'm going to have to stop back more often. I love your pictures and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  50. A beautiful post, indeed. Thanks so much for your words.

    ReplyDelete
  51. How simply beautifully put. And I have all my life felt the words charity and love were interchangeable...charity doesn't always mean money, does it?
    David sent me...I'm glad he did
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  52. We had a message at church about this subject- what those passages mean to us today when you replace the word charity with love. Pretty powerful messages.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.