Blog Your Blessings: Travel in Time and Space

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

We spent a lovely few days in Virginia this week. We returned to the Williamsburg area with neighbors so each of our one-and-only daughters could learn some American history and have some good company. The trip was pure pleasure from start to finish. Our neighbors are good people who are easy to be with. Their daughter is a few years older than Adella, and the girls complement, rather than compete with, each other.

The trip south was also a form of time travel that advanced spring for us by a good month. The flowers in the gardens and along the roads were gorgeous. The journey was a trip back in time, too. We filled our days with trips to Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Historic Jamestowne. At each site, the interpreters were as enthusiastic as they were knowledgeable about their area of interest, whether it was agriculture, trade, politics, government, or exploration.

Without a doubt, our favorite presentation came from a volunteer at Jamestowne who told us the story of John Smith, a diplomat, leader, explorer and gentleman whose intelligence, audacity, and sense of humor kept him alive when dealing with angry Native Americans and kept the first settlers alive through their first humble years in North America.

That people have a right to enjoy the fruit of their labors and determine the course of their lives in open cooperation with others--and will do exactly that--was a theme running through all the presentations. These basic human rights seem downright ordinary, yet these rights were revolutionary in the New World of the 18th century, when middle-class merchants and landowners began to insist on them and framed them in the Declaration of Independence. The story really is about ennobling the ordinary--us.

In so many ways, the struggle for those rights continues in some form in every generation--women's suffrage, child labor laws, the trade union movement, the Civil Rights Movement, OSHA. Returning to places like Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown, where the Revolution ended and Independence began, is a great reminder to keep asking the basic questions of what makes a decent life and to remain confident that the answers can be found and secured.

Can't get there from here? Try out these excellent sites:
Historic Jamestowne
Colonial Williamsburg
Yorktown


More photos here

Image: The garden behind the Governor's Palace, Colonial Williamsburg.


More Blog Your Blessings are here.

Post a Comment

24 Comments

  1. What a beautiful picture, and I enjoyed your description of the trip. I hope to visit all those places some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. historical sites are very important for us to recall what our ancestors fought for us to gain liberty in different aspect of the nations history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:45 AM

    I had no idea that your back yard was so big, and colorful.

    No wonder Adella needs a friend to help keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post
    I again would like to thank you for all the time and effort you put into Sky Watch... when I do my visits to all the Sky Watchers out there and I come across your Icon in the comments of others it really is pleasing to know you are out there visiting.. Thank you
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. a wodnerful post, accompanied by a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, this is so beautiful and what a great history lesson . One of these days i am going to go there. Been to Virginia once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should have recognized the Governor's Palace, Sandy! I don't know if we went into the back gardens when we were there... Beautiful shot! Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:21 PM

    I enjoy your photo I live on the Eastern Shore of this State.

    Have a nice week-end :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I completely agree with you when you say that the struggle for rights to empower the ordinary people continues in every generation--just the form changes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just as with wildlife, the more exposure that children have to history, the more respect they have for what and who they are. I've never been down at Williamstown but I always hear how great it is. I have to see if it is near DC, so next time I visit my son I could stop in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are those gorgeous tulips in that beautiful garden? Always enjoy re-visiting history through your posts!

    Happy blog your blessing Sunday. Our tulips have a possibility of getting covered with snow today or Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful site...and it must have been a fun trip for your daughter.

    Shoshana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photo. Nice read too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the title of this blog entry is such a gimme, eh? I mean, the OVERWHELMING temptation to say, I fot we wuz goin to be bloggin' abouts the same fing today!

    Y'know, for a "British Soldier" (re-enactor,) I feel awful I have yet to tread into Colonial Williamsburg... I must make an effort... Granted, oddly enough, I still have to see it's Ontarian counterpart, "Upper Canadian Village" despite being to pretty much every other fort, encampment, and "historic village" near home... although something tells me Williamsburg kinda smokes 'em all.

    Great write up... and a great spot... and great thoughts following it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. At first I thought this was going to be a Dr Who posting lol!

    Great post Sandy, and yes lessons from the past can still be learned today via these great historical places :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:05 AM

    I just love the photo and the accompanying post, Sandy. It's good the trip to Virginia went well :)

    Also, I would like to thank you because I found BYBS because of you. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an amazing building and landscaping; a pleasure to stroll through I am sure


    ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reminds me of a book called thw YOGA OF TIME TRAVEL. Wonderful pic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a lovely garden - it would take some maintenance! Rich colours. And some history with it - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Williamsburg. We did not have tour guides, but it was fascinating to walk through history. That is a fabulous part of the country, so rich in history.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so pleased that you and your family had such a wonderful time. Glad you are back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Peaceful and colorful, I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous4:07 AM

    what a color collection!!! wonderful pic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the story teller can really add a lot to any historical site. We once went to the Warther Carving Museum in Dover OH - it was raining and a nice way to spend a day. Well, the tour guide was so good and I was so impressed. Just leaves you with a sense of awe to hear the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.