Blog Your Blessings: Delmo

Our gold-and-grey guinea pig Delmo is very ill. He had been hopping on three legs earlier this week, so I took him in for an exam. The vet tells me he might be suffering from cancer, kidney failure, a severe Vitamin C deficiency, or a bone infection. Whatever the problem, something is causing his bones to disintegrate inside his quiet and gentle little body. He is on antibiotics in case the cause is infection and on Vitamin C in case the lack of it is the problem. There's nothing we can do about cancer or kidney failure.

I felt so useless after I brought him home from the check up. I put him on the floor and let him rest after two hours of being pulled and stretched by strange,strong hands. He squeaked from time to time. I stood by, feeling huge, human, and helpless. Then I put his big brother Tapper on the floor so he too could get some exercise. Rather than engaging in the normal exercises of exploring or trying to eat my bamboo chair, though, he headed for his little brother and backed his generously proportioned rear-end up alongside Delmo's sore leg. That stopped the squealing in pain on the floor as Delmo purred with the pleasure the heat and the company afforded him.


It didn't stop the human noise, though. I sobbed and sobbed as I watched one critter take care of another with the heat of his own body. Tapper leaned into Delmo's pain, and Delmo leaned back and that was the problem solved for a good long while. It was such a sweet and simple moment.


That night, I slept with Delmo on the floor beside me in a makeshift bed we had created from an old wash bucket. Around 2:30 a.m., he cried out in pain, so I picked him up and lay him on my chest. He made his way, slowly and painfully, to my throat, and he rested under my chin. There we lay until dawn. I grew used to his feather-light weight, the rhythm of his breath, and the tickle of his whiskers.


I guess our lives are small, no matter who or what we are. And we're here for just a little while. If all we can do is be warm for each other, that's really something. Some days, it seems to be just enough.


I drafted the above on Wednesday evening. On Thursday evening, I came home late from work. There was Delmo in his makeshift bed and my husband and daughter beside him. Delmo started to shudder, so I picked him up and lay down with him on my chest. He shuddered until he died right there minutes later.
Please say a prayer for my daughter, who misses her friend very much.

(Image: Delmo is on the right; Tapper, on the left.)

More at Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

24 Comments

  1. Bless your heart! You have such fond memories of his last days. . . (I was here looking for Sky watch Friday and read your post for Sunday already! )

    What a blessing Delmo was for you all. Looks like he waited to leave you until you got home so you wouldn't be worried. He's in doggie heaven for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:17 PM

    Prayers all around, for sure. For Adella, of course; and for Delmo and Tapper; and a prayer of thanks, too, that you and your husband were there to make it all right and to make it stop hurting. Yes, stopping the hurt sometimes means it hurts us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:52 PM

    Oh Sandy, please tell Adella how sorry I am. I must say this really got to me. It was very touching to hear how you gave so much love to such a little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying. This is so like the experience my sons had years ago with their tiny pets. Such sadness for us all. And on Easter Sunday my little daughter's bunny died. Again, so sad.

    I shall pray for your daughter knowing how hard it can be.

    You are gentle soul, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. animals are more than animals, they are such dear friends to us. prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gee, I am such a sentimental sap--this made me want to cry. I can't even handle a goldfish going bye bye. But your post showed a family full of respect and love for life. And that's too rare. A prayer for your family, especially your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry. My eyes are full of tears as I write this. I feel for all of you, you, your husband and of course, your daughter. No matter how small, we develop relationships and it's very hard when we lose a dear friend. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Empathy with the smallest creature is what makes us human, isn't it?
    Please hug your daughter for me, I keep her in my thoughts. Our four kids have had to say good-bye to beloved pets over and over again. Life. My mother refused to have another dog for twenty years after her dog died through a freak car accident after she had nursed him back to health from a dangerous illness. It's amazing how these creatures win our hearts and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:00 AM

    Just relived moments I experienced with my baby too ...
    My heart goes out to all your family .

    I wonder if you'd be interested in reading what I wrote for Cookie.

    http://la-muse07.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-baby.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:27 AM

    I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a beloved pet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like such an amazing little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It still amazes me how some people "don't get" a pet passing as having the ability to affect a person's life... but big or small, our pets are a part of our family... My sincerest condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to learn of this. Bless you for showing him love until the very end {hugs}

    I used to have 3 guinea pigs before. They're such gentle little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My condolences and prayers on your loss, but your memories seem strong and so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate to hear of any pet dying. Losing a pet can be so devastating for the entire family. I am sure Tapper is also suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:44 PM

    The above comment by Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry for your loss. Big or small, our furry friends fill our lives and our hearts with love.

    Delmo is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

    Angels around you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved Delmo. The strong bond between Delmo and Tapper is very touching.

    It's heartwarming how you placed Delmo on your chest when he was in pain and during his last moments. It must have made him feel more loved than ever.

    I understand how much you miss him especially your daughter. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sandy that is so hard and so sad. I have held loved pets as they breathed their last too and it hurts. But I am so glad that you got home to see him and hold him, that his brother had a chance to care for him and that Delmo is no longer in pain.

    I hope your daughter is ok, and I hope you are ok too.

    Prayers for you all. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Sandy, I am so sorry to hear this. I do know how attached we get to our pets. I will say a special prayer for your family during this time of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cried when I read this post Sandy. I'm so sorry for your loss. Pets are like people and become so much a part of the family. I was really upset when my little dog died a few years ago. I'll say a prayer for your daughter. I'm sure she misses her little friend dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like so many others here, I too am crying here.
    Pets are such cose family members aren't they? No matter how large or how small.

    To stick with them right to the end as they leave the pain behind, knowing they are loved.

    Bless you all.
    Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. My own daughter lost one of her piggies last month. And though my daughter is a big girl (age 27) this was still a very emotional shake-up. Guinea pigs are such tender creatures.

    I appreciate the touching lesson here, and pray that the Lord comforts Delmo's friends.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Sandy. The courage you had to help that little creature die in peace is making me cry. You are so special to do that for him. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.