Thursday Thirteen No 25: The Labyrinth.

"Let the beauty you love be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth." -Rumi

Every now and again I stop off at the labyrinth at Wisdom House in Litchfield, Connecticut. Walking it is a wonderful experience in itself, but recent reading has made it all the richer. Here are some thoughts on the labyrinth from The Great Cosmic Mother by Monica Sjoo and Barbara Mor.

1.The labyrinth traces its roots to the Great Mother, the earth goddess.

2. The Great Mother was the body of all life as well as the way that must be traveled to realize life.


3. In all rites of the Great Mother throughout the ages and throughout the world, the way is always connected with a cave/womb and a spiraling entrance and exit.


4. Among ancient Cretans as well as among present-day Hopis in the American Southwest, the earth womb is depicted as a labyrinth and the mythic place of emergence of the whole people.


5. In Hindu tradition, both the convolutions of the brain and the eightfold stages of the mind are identified with the winding spiral form of the labyrinth.


6. A labyrinth both creates and protects the still center, the heart.


7. Through the ages, complex ideas have been expressed through the symbol of the labyrinth, including travel through the underworld to rebirth on a larger psychic level.


8. The journey into and out of the labyrinth reflects the traveler's place in the cosmos.


9. A labyrinth has only one path; the way in is the way out.

10. When you walk a labyrinth, you meander back and forth, turning 180 degrees each time you enter a different circuit. As you shift your direction you also shift your awareness. This is one of the reasons the labyrinth can induce receptive states of consciousness.


11. The labyrinth is not a maze; there are no blind alleys and no decisions to make; the circuits keep you on course.


12. A labyrinth is a right brain task. It involves intuition, creativity, and imagery.


13. As you enter, focus, and walk purposefully, you meditate on the nature of your every step, finding that walking the labyrinth is an exercise intended to create a heightened spiritual awareness in a sacred space.

Thursday Thirteen

Post a Comment

31 Comments

  1. Sandy, I haven't walked a labyrinth in a while. It is a centering, calming practice and now I want to repeat my experience.

    I enjoyed reading the thoughts from The Great Cosmic Mother. If you haven't already, you might enjoy reading Walking a Sacred Path by Lauren Artress.

    Thank you for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Cool! I must check it out next time I'm in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of this! Thanks for the introduction. I was very encouraged by your #12, as intuition and creativity are my strength. (As opposed to following a map ...) Maybe I could do this! And thanks for visiting my TT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:03 PM

    That looks like a great place to visit. We don't have any labyrinths nearby that I'm aware of. I'll have to see if I can find one. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I read your posts, I feel as if peace is possible. I can't stray far or else that wonderful feeling disappears and needs to be renewed. I never saw this in Litchfield, never even heard of it. That's a shame. The mathematics of these labyrinths is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every week I get an education on something. I have never walked a labyrinth, but it seems like a nice experience. Thanks for sharing this information and happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andree,
    I would love to understand the mathematics of labyrinths. The harmony and balance that come with the symmetry I think are a source of peace in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post. I've never been in a labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I gotta say, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what great stuff! Happy TT and thanks for stopping:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A labyrinth? Hmm, I've never thought about walking one. But I think you just planted a seed (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds complex...like Sudoku.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting. I didn't know any of these things about a labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's really neat! I wish I'd visited while living in the East Coast. It reminds me of the walking line the kids at my Montessori school use-- very calming.

    Thanks for visiting, have a happy TT!:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would love to try to do this some time. there must be something like that near here. i really should check it out!

    ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mazes scare me - I'm glad it is not a maze. And I like #12 also. Cool post.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely post. You definitely need to visit my friend Lea's blog. I think you'll like what you find there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like walking in these labyrinths: one of my favourites is in Schoenbrunn in Vienna.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Walking a labyrinth sounds so cool. I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Somehow I always associated the labyrinth with a minotaur. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, happy T13 Sandy!

    Blessings and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sandy, you mention the Wisdom House at Litchfield Conn. I was taught by the Daughters of Wisdom when I was in high school. Their Mother house was in Litchfield Conn. and we would take retreats there especially after I decided to become a nun in my Sophmore Year. When you mentioned the Wisdom House a thrill ran through me (it must be the same place). But maybe not a Motheer House anymore. I didn't become a nun but I have fond memories of the wonderful women who were nuns who dedicated there lives to teaching young girls and prayer.
    It's appropriate that the Labyrinth is there. Tell me anything you know about this place now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:34 AM

    I think #9 is what helps it be so liberating. Nothing to think about. We have one in Roanoke and I walked it on one of my past birthdays. I think it balances the hemispheres of the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous9:55 AM

    I didn't know that about the labyrinth. I've never walked it either. I'll have to make it a place to visit on my vacation. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have actually been to the one at the children's hosp but was chasing my 2 year old nephew Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. I learned something new. And her I thought labyrinth was just a film with David Bowie.

    My T13 #72 is up. 13 Photo Answers to the Photo Meme Stop by if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A lovely post, finding beauty at every turn... thank you for visiting and sharing your experiences as we traverse this meandering path!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sandy, I have not heard of this, it is interesting thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never walked a labyrinth, but I have added this to my "must do" list! It sounds so peaceful and freeing.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous4:34 PM

    I saw/walked my first labyrinth at The Lavender Fields this past summer. I did not know anything about it. Now that you have so wonderfully educated me, I will go back soon and do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one that never saw one or never heard of it before! It's a mythical experience I think? Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.