My Apologies to the Fat Pig

For the 18 months we've had our two guinea pigs, we've felt a need to look out for the little guy, Delmo.

Tapper (right) is our Alpha Mouse, and he lords it over his little brother all the time. Tapper is the fat pig. New food in the cage? Tapper first, thank you. Is that hay? Outta the way, Delmo. Water? Age before beauty, brother.


Perhaps our table manners have no place in the cage, but we are who we are and we just can't help it. Many a time we've held Tapper back and let Delmo have first go at the fresh food in our interest of fair play and justice. We can be ridiculous. The pigs, wielding their own form of chivalry, never let on to notice.
We thought we were doing a good thing.

Doing good. Like all those good eggs we know who chase the squirrels from the bird feeder because they heartily resent the big, bushy-tailed rodents crashing the party they put on for the delicate feathered friends.


Silly us to think we know better how it should be.


Yesterday after I put the breakfast serving of guinea pig food in the cage, both guineas came to the door. I stroked them both simultaneously, and they purred with pleasure. Then Tapper craned his fat little neck to nibble his salt wheel. Finding it good, he nudged Delmo's nose over, and Delmo had a taste.


My daughter, who has read just about all the books on her rodents, melted. "Ooohhh," she said, "Tapper was making sure Delmo had some, too."


"So Tapper takes care of Delmo, even when he's being pushy?"


"Probably, mom. You know how Delmo cries whenever he can't see Tapper? Maybe that's why?" It's true: the little guy squeals up a storm if his big brother is out of eyeshot. Delmo depends on Tapper's company. Whatever it is about Alpha Mousiness works for both guinea pigs. They're good with it.


So there it is. I owe the fat pig a big apology. If being Alpha Mouse means being bossy, it also means keeping the kingdom safe. All hail Alpha Mouse.

Post a Comment

12 Comments

  1. Wow, that's really great!

    I love animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my Labrador dog would be frightened of you little piggies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, we all can learn so much from our animals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the title I was shocked... I did not remember you calling me names or upsetting me before... I'm so glad I still read on.. ha!
    I think animals have a way with each other that we mere humans will never understand. We might get the odd sighting of it now and then, but we will not fully understand how they interact.

    Neat post.. thanks for the giggle with the title..:0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:10 AM

    They're just trying to prove to you that they CAN survive without your guidance. It's just like having a couple extra kids in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much to think about here. Very provocative post.

    PS--I messed up Mr. Linky this week and forgot to post a kindess poem, so that my link was to something totally unrlated. I'll get it right next time -:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, thank you for that wonderful, sensitive little story about your two guinea pigs. It brought a tear to my eye... I'm a real mush...as I'm sure you and your daughter are too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloghopping from Ghee.

    We humans behave the same way. We may be fighting with our siblings, but once they are picked on by others we come to their rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is amazing, i sort of have that around here with my cats, the brothers anyway, Oliver the biggest of the brothers is very protecting over his brothers sort of a father figure, He makes some strange sounds and they come running,and usually that is when he baths them. And when it comes to eating he will sit by the plate till little skinny brother eats first. Love to see animals interact with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:47 PM

    I always wonder what tapper is thinking when I give him the smaller piece, or keep him out of Delmo's way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is interesting to see how we assume we know what is the best and what is correct even before fully understanding things from their perspective... This is true in a lot of situations...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a love story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.