Thursday Thirteen No. 21: Inspiration

One of the most poetic moments in the book of Genesis occurs in the Creation story when God breathes life into the earth and thus creates humanity. This imagery connects us to God and the earth completely, eternally, inextricably. We are no more or less than any other part of this marvelous world; our lives depend on it and it, on us.

I think of this passage whenever meditate--alone or under the guidance of my Buddhist teacher. This kind of meditation focuses on breathing. It is the kind of meditation that Buddha himself engaged in under the bodhi tree. It is about develop in full consciousness of all about you and within you.

It is with this in mind that I read the Creation story as a moment of inspiration for that mystery called God as well as for the life that breath created.

1. That breathing in of life is literally inspiration.

2. It is the "immediate influence of God or a god," according to the Online Etymology Dictionary.

3. To inspire is to "influence or animate [fill with life or activity] with an idea or purpose." With all this in mind, I climbed Mt. Google the other day and asked the Source of Knowledge what other sages have said about inspiration--about doing, about being alive--through the ages. I found these marvelous thoughts:

4. A supernatural divine influence on the prophets, apostles, or sacred writers, by which they were qualified to communicate moral or religious truth with authority; a supernatural influence which qualifies men to receive and communicate divine truth; also, the truth communicated.(Brainy Quote)

5. No one was ever great without some portion of divine inspiration. (Cicero)


6. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. (Aristotle)


7. Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is most important that you do it. (Gandhi)


8. Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness--I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self- consciousness.
(Aaron Copland)

9. What is grace? It is the inspiration from on high: it is love; it is liberty. (Victor Hugo)


10. Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over. (F. Scott Fitzgerald)


11. When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another. (Helen Keller)


12. Inspiration is God making contact with itself. (Ram Dass)


13. Nature is my manifestation of God. I go to nature every day for inspiration in the day's work. I follow in building the principles which nature has used in its domain.
(Frank Lloyd Wright)

Thursday Thirteen

Post a Comment

37 Comments

  1. I needed to read this list today!! Goodly as always Sandy, I certainly enjoy reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice TT, and thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful... you know, you are always inspiring.

    Have a great week Sandy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...great stuff. Ive done alot of praying and soul searching with the recent passing of my father. It always gives me comfort. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very relaxing post and music. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Sandy!
    nature is a huge inspiration to me, as well as my little son and the little girl who is due in June!

    T 13: All about SPAM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love #10. And I also really appreciate how well the photo works with the TT. (Thanks for visiting my TT)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and inspiring!
    Thank you!

    Please visit my My 1st Thursday 13 if you find time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:10 PM

    Thank you for sharing this. These types of lists are always so timely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love conversations about inspiration - especially when you lead with breathing! It's hard to hold inspiration and maybe that's the point.

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  12. As one who is just studying yoga and meditation, this certainly was inspiring! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an good inspiration.

    My T13 #1

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is quite difficult to comment on this I have first to think it over. A very nice post !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful list.
    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent post. I like to think about God breathing life into events and people even today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. e you can crash the party...didn't I tag you? I certainly meant to... Join us I really want to see what you'd do.

    BTW I am in the process of doing a Thursday Thirteen as we "speak?" It'll be up in a while. and then I'll be back to read yours...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always, what a beautiful, inspirational list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all wonderful! I think I’ll carry #7 with me today. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:58 AM

    How beautiful. Thank you for this.

    -Renee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous8:58 AM

    I meditate on a word by looking at how it is composed. The word inpspiration says In spirit so to be inspired is to be infused with inner spirit. Embarrassed says I'm bare assed. Evolve says love. breath has earth and heart in in. Identity is id entity.

    Very inspiring stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Truly a marvelous post Sandy! Different takes on "inspiration." You inspire me! :) Happy TT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sandy, this is so nice. I love quotes as you know, since I start each post with them. So much wisdom can be found in them if you search for the good ones. I just recently listened to someone else talk about the enormous beauty that is in the Creation Story. Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Beautiful and very inspiring.
    Maribeth
    www.marnini.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was an amazing post! just can't get enough of your blog, it's SO inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sandy,
    This is beautiful.
    I have tagged you if you have time stop over to my blog thanks

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this. thanks for the inpiration but I always find that when I visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is an outstanding TT and very thought provoking and helpful for those of us who have suffered spiritual bumpy roads. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. that was the best..... great!!!im so happy i visited ur blog today...how inspiring and thoughtful...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bravo, Sandy,

    It's all about finding ourselves. In particular, I like the quotes from Aristotle and Gandhi.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really like the quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald - 'Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over.'

    Thank you for a great T13.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very lovely and inspiring, thanks for sharing. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous8:11 AM

    I like the Victor Hugo quote myself. Grace is most definitely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  34. that was a wonderful tt...fulling deserving of davids acknowledgement!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.