Ever Felt Like a Circus Elephant?

Ever felt like a circus elephant? I have. Yesterday I heard this story that captures the experience perfectly:

"When [elephants are] young, they are attached by heavy chains to large stakes driven deep into the ground. They pull and yank and strain and struggle, but the chain is too strong, the stake too rooted. One day they give up, having learned that they cannot pull free, and from that day forward they can be "chained" with a slender rope. When this enormous animal feels any resistance, though it has the strength to pull the whole circus tent over, it stops trying. Because it believes it cannot, it cannot. "(
Duen Hsi Yen)

In time, the chain becomes an illusion that is nonetheless every bit as powerful as the real thing. Shake off these imaginary chains, and you can change your life by breaking free of limitations imposed by ourselves or, more thank likely, others--usually in the form of harsh words. We don't have to believe the old way is the only way.


If we believe we can, we can.

Lao Tzu put it this way:


Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom; mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.

Post a Comment

11 Comments

  1. nice passage, it is hard to control ourself, mind my own language :(
    btw, i have another blog it's cabekriting.blogspot.com

    can I link you there? I write in my language sometime, I hope u don't mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 53 and still am just "learning myself", no where close to mastering real power. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:39 AM

    There's much wisdom in this story. I think sometimes we forge our own chains.

    I have only just realised that you have several blogs. I don't know how you manage to write so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:21 PM

    Learning is a continuous process, you can never say I'm old enough and I know everything.

    I have a tag for you here:
    http://mlizcochico.com/?p=373

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of Yoda's comment: "there is no can, only do." Karl Pribram and his colleagues postulated that the universe is a hologram that has convenience by affording us space-time in which to learn. Still, only an illusion. Truly, we are what we think. (Sorry to mix my movie metaphors -:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful thoughts, Sandy. I do agree that sometimes we forge our own chains. Those poor baby elephants aren't responsible for their chains.

    Sandy I have an award for you at Answers to the Questions

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's right, sister Sandy!

    gr8 post.

    i've tagged you - if you feel like playing you can. i also have a gift. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfectly wonderful story to bring home the point. Beautiful! And of course, the quote says it all.
    Thank you Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found you and I must say I love this post. These are powerful words that can have a very postive affect. I know they did for me...Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first time that I learn about this particular trait of the elephants! How sad and yet so true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. True. While what was a limitation at one point of time in your life need not be... Guess one needs to push limits now and then to find out that we are not actually tied down...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.