Criticism: You Can't Touch This

Constructive criticism is about the lifting up of virtue, of helping to strengthen a person involved in a creative endeavor. To construct is to build; to be constructive is to aid in building. Nevertheless, I have found that most so-called constructive criticism amounts to fault-finding.

Most of us have have had negative encounters with critics--full-time fault-finders and know-it-alls who run onto the field after the game to tell you how it could have been rather than to say what they loved about your performance. Destruction is in the nature of these sideline visionaries, a steady diet of whose wisdom can cripple the mind.

As a teacher, I see the dangers of this all the time. It's easy to get into the habit of correcting rather than of constructing. In contrast, I see how far someone will go with just "yes" or "good start" as fuel in the tank.

I've been on the other side of it, too. I used to do work for a friend who did nothing but find fault. He said to me once, "If you don't hear from me, it's probably because what you did was OK." He wouldn't waste his dime on positive feedback. It wasn't long before this working relationship didn't work at all. It left me convinced that I couldn't do anything right and shouldn't bother trying. I became anxious and uncertain and--no surprise here--critical.

I'm grateful for the experience. It has taught me how to approach others' work and to respond to it in a way that is constructive and meaningful. I've found that meaningful criticism can flow from one person to another by considering 1. how you perceive the work and 2. the associations you make between the work and your life.

The first consideration is objective. By stating how you perceive something, you say what you think it means in the form of a synopsis. This allows the artist to decide whether or not his work reflects his inspiration.

The second consideration is subjective. By sharing your thoughts on how you make the work part of your own experience, you give the artist encouragement and insight into the places his work travels without him.

Such responses allow the artist to return to her work and develop it or revise it as necessary. Both the creator and the viewer become more articulate as they become connected in a meaningful, creative way. Amazing things happen in this process; errors and weaknesses seem to right themselves.

I think bloggers are very good at this form of interaction. None of us wants to be cut to ribbons. We want exchanges to be meaningful and in some way uplifting, even if our visitors don't agree with us. We want to grow, and growth is as much about being fed and living in the light as it is about pruning.

The Seventh Day

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. Anonymous11:12 PM

    It takes a special talent to be able to do this well. People who can are among the best teachers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:35 AM

    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the other day, I went to a dance performance of my friend which was below average. When he called me up the next day, I couldn't tell him that the music he chose was not at all good and it fell flat, but I couldn't tell him that. Instead I ended up praising him on something else. I couldn't give a positive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was young I never cared much about many of my teachers, but there were a few that had a "special something". They inspired me. I knew they were invested. My nephew and his wife are both teachers. They both have that "special something"!

    I enjoyed your post as well as your Photo Hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If someone has put effort into a project, you can always find something positive to say. Sometimes it takes work, but it helps us too by making us really look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think this is the art of being a good teacher Sandy, being able to steer someone in the right direction, without it seeming that you are knocking them down or criticising them. I always think offering helpful advice is often a much better course of action. I'm sure you're a really good teacher. The children in your class are lucky to have you Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sandy, isn't it always the way that the kindest and most caring individuals (like yourself)are concerned with not hurting anyone and only lifting them up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right! Such beautiful words :) (it's me, Rhonda @ rnning2wn2. Chuck's my new avatar. isn't he cute.)

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:44 AM

    Sandy, this is a wonderful post because I truly believe that giving constructive feedback is an art form. It is not easy to learn to give effective criticism and it takes years to become comfortable with the process -- if one ever does.

    Thanks for participating in The Seventh Day blog carnival and I am especially appreciative of your promoting it here on your site! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, this is a wonderful post. I agree, it takes a sensitive and kind heart to give proper constructive criticism. Most of the time, it has to start with looking at our own motives first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew up with a father who critisized everything I did everything was not good or bad. Finally I got a thick skin, I didn't bother or even listen anymore, I decided myself what was good and bad. Now today if I find someones work not very good and think there could be some improvement I always start with "You did very nice, wonderful, it looks great etc. but ...." This is positive criticism.
    I am here on my 7th day !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been reading and thinking about journeying. For the criticisms to be truly constructive, the criticizer needs to journey with the criticized. It destroys when one is not willing to listen and to learn and to push one's own way on to the other...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for stopping by my blog.
    I have been visiting here quietly for a while, I like the serenity of this place :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was an art teacher for a year before I immigrated to the U.S.A.
    Like you I believe that positive criticism is better than negative.
    I know that being a teacher is not an easy job but very rewarding in many ways. You are building lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.