Thursday Thirteen No. 3: The Skinny on Street Painting

Waterbury's Downtown Draw was so much fun and attracted so many talented young people that I spent some time this week looking into this form of graffiti. Like graffiti, street painting has its roots deep in the sacred arts. Like graffiti, it is temporary and as much about its method of creation as it is about the results. I discovered that:

1. street painting has been recorded throughout Europe since the 16th century; and

2. street painters in Italy are called madonnari because they often created pictures representing the Madonna.

3. Like today's graffiti writers, these madonnari were itinerant artists who lived a life of travel and freedom.

4. They would join in the festivities on the holy days of each province and town, at which time they would create images in public squares and in front of the local church.

5. Their media included bits of broken roof tiles, charcoal, and some white chalk. (more)


Post a Comment

12 Comments

  1. Street painting is so cool! I cannot even do "regular" painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:37 PM

    I didn't know -- all the materials could make it harder, but yet the work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire street painters... especially if it's anything like that Target commercial where it's so realistic and 3-d!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen them doing their thing, it's amazing!
    My TT shares 13 quotes by W.B. Yeats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its a wonderfully beautiful way to express yourself...thanks for the facts:) Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's soo cool!!! what a nice TT!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I'll add you to my blogroll right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really had an impact on you didn't they? that was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of neat factoids that I did not know before! Happy Thursday Thirteen, and thank you so much as always for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Incredible post: I love the balloon pic. I also enjoy learning about art history. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really talented! It was fun to read your post...good pictures and video, too! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.