Blog Your Blessings: My Daughter

Adella will be nine tomorrow. With such a sweet and sensitive little soul who is kind to the world around her, I am unfathomably blessed.

When she was tiny, I would carry her in my arms and take her with me all over the place on walks. She would watch everything--the geese, the dance of shadows on the grass, the clouds. Being with her and following her gaze was a meditation unto itself. My daughter, my teacher. She taught me to see. I wrote this little poem for her after our first autumn together:

Asters, bittersweet, corn....
The early autumn alphabet
Promises something like
Goldenrod,
A nod to memory
That marks time by temperature--
Is it night now, or day?--
Autumn heat
Sings with dying.
Asters fade to phosphorous blue.
Bittersweet, to banked coals.
Too much heat.
The world tumbles into night.
Goldenrod blows in the wind, sun
In a falling sky; we
Dress for night.

Blog Your Blessings

Post a Comment

14 Comments

  1. Happy Birthday to your daughter!
    A child brings never ending joy to a mother. We are truly blessed to have them.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. My daughter is the best thing that ever happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blessing... and a CUTE BABY! Our little one is a grand blessing too so this has much meaning to Sue and I...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Adella! Wishing her a great year ahead.

    And that's a nice poem you wrote for her. Happy BYB Sunday and have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:09 AM

    Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    I love the poem too.

    Happy BYB Sunday and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:11 AM

    A daughter is a true gift of love,
    I have been blessed with two

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful blessing for sure! keep hugging her no matter how old she gets!

    I finally got my post up. . . I just now figured how I could post it Saturday night and yet not show 'til Sunday. . .will do that from now on so i am not "late" in other parts of the world.

    Please come back and visit my blog again for my BYb entry too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birtday Adella!!!! What a little cutie pie!!! This is a wonderful post....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Happy Birthday to your daughter, i love the poem you wrote, I only have son's.Who are special as well, but a girl is something special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:05 PM

    She is a blessing to you and you to her. Wonderful poem.

    The only time I wrote something for my son was when I realized he was growing up and I had to let him.

    Please join us for Blog Village Fall Fest on Advertising for Success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daughters are a blessing, I should know I've been blessed 4 times!

    They are so sweet when they're young. I spent the day "doing the pumpkin thing" with my 3 year old and I think I had more fun than she did!

    Happy BYBS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:17 PM

    Children are so great. I think God gives them to us so that we don't despair.

    I had fun today, shopping for an outfit for my newest grandchild. While I was there, I remembered what it was like to be the older one, ignored when the newest one got the presents, so I got the three year old HER outfit, too.

    That was fun! My youngest was at that stage in 1980.

    You are wise to have recognized Adella's special value nine years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:27 PM

    Happy birthday to your little girl! She's lucky to have such a wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:04 PM

    Pretty cool place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.