What I Meant to Say

"Beautiful day," I say to the neighbor,
Though what I meant to say was, "Hello."
He is pulling on his running shoes;
He doesn't look up.
"Supposed to be even better
"As the week goes on," he says.
"That's not possible," I say to the neighbor,
Though what I meant was, "that's good."
He turns and without even stretching
Runs toward the falling sun.
I turn the other way and walk.
Our paths will intersect down the road
In the dark.
We will nod,
Though, after a long walk in the cooling amber air
Of early autumn, when everything--everything everywhere--
Gives back to the sun all the heat and light it has received
In the form of color, color, color--
What I will mean to say will be:

"What are dreams of tomorrow,
"When you and I
"Have it all right here, right now?"

Post a Comment

4 Comments

  1. I like this poem because it makes me think about something that often crosses my mind:

    We talk of the weather when we feel uncomfortable sharing anything close to the heart.

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pann. That's what I was trying to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, we really do have it all. "right here, right now, there is no other place I'd rather be...." to coin another poet.

    Beautiful poem! One that reminds us of the deep experiences we share, and helps give us the courage to share them openly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.