Blog Your Blessings: Parking Meters

The City of Waterbury used to top my list of charities. It seemed every time I parked in the Brass City, the meter police would find me within a nanosecond of my coins running out and nail me for $10. I couldn't run out of the car to return a library book or drop a letter without returning to find an envelope under my wiper. This was a regular event before I wised up. So I had a nice little laugh when I came across this good old-fashioned graffito on a meter at the bottom of Church Street on Thursday.

The sentiment made me smile--St. John's Church sits alongside this meter--and the audacity of the thing made me laugh. I tried to imagine someone casually sliding a Sharpie or Marks-a-Lot out of his pocket to neatly pen this message to the City at a very busy, well-policed intersection. How do you write this while impersonating a law-abiding citizen in search of a quarter?

I don't see much of this graffiti anymore unless I open up one of Nigel Rees's amusing old books. Light moments like these are always blessings.

It's nice to know, too, that someone with a sense of humor and a marker is looking out for the church!

Anybody know if the meter police work on Sundays?

Post a Comment

8 Comments

  1. Anonymous7:34 PM

    Some people clearly have talents that I lack!
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:33 AM

    The meter folk are everywhere (nearly all the time). Score one for the quarterless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh heh heh... Okay, that's fairly clever... it would be cleverer still if they actually noticed and did something about it... but somehow, I doubt they will. *Sigh* Parking officials suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:33 AM

    Now that is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:23 PM

    That bought a huge smile to my face.

    Happy BYB Sunday and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:09 PM

    They took all the meters out of the downtown area in my town. Now the meter maids have to mark the tires with a chalk marker and come back in two hours to write the ticket. If you do not pay your fines, they put a boot on your wheel so your car won't move.

    My zip code is 78666. There is always a moment of silence when I give my zip over the phone. A few have gone weeeooooo-oo-oo (like Twilight Zone). I have not had anyone cross their fingers at me yet.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is funny! Mahalo for sharing! My new post is up, and I'm back in the blog saddle again--at least for one post! :-) Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.