Blog Your Blessing Sunday: Jo March and Harry Potter

When I was a kid, anything Louisa May Alcott wrote and anything written about her could be found in my hand. I loved everything from her instructional novels for children--Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Rose in Bloom...--to her mercury-induced horror stories, the byproduct of her time as a Civil War nurse.

I shared this passion for these stories with my best friend. These were the books we talked about. We were shy, quiet kids, and this was our bond.
J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series fills that place in my daughter's childhood. She devours the things with her cousins, with whom she acts out the various adventures. They continuously share a feast of the imagination.

The stories are to their readers what sports are to so many men--a common bond that becomes the currency of conversation even among strangers. At a Harry Potter bookstore party on the release of Deathly Hallows, Adella and her cousins were among scores upon scores of strangers who shared the bond of a common knowledge, a common passion, and a common sense of literary adventure. It was magic. It was the power of reading at its very best. It was a blessing.

Post a Comment

13 Comments

  1. amen to books out there

    among the things that have shaped me in my younger days whereby my brain was more easily filled (as it was still more sponge the sieve then), books ranks right up there

    take that magical journey into the wildest realms via books! very glad that your daughter is enjoying the books & even acting them out. unleash them creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! My children LOVE the HP series, and how terrific that so much excitement was generated for books .. :)

    I was a big Nancy Drew fan...as a kid I collected all of the books in the series, and still have them ... :) Thinking back I can see how in so ways Nancy shaped my own keen enthusiasm for puzzles, and mysteries.

    Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:00 AM

    What a wonderful post about the blessing of books, reading and shared imagination.

    Happy BYB Sunday and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:13 PM

    I didn't have any favorites as a kid, but I remember a few Hardy Boys and the Treasury classics. I wish I had had something like LMA or Harry Potter.

    But I'm into HP now, too, so maybe that makes up for it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have kept up with the Potter series in order to communicate with my niece and my nephew. (All of my kids are grown.) I think that J. Rowling has missed a big part of life by consciously omitting and ignoring God, and by denying our spiritual nature. It leaves the books flat, to me, but as a vehicle to my young friends, I keep current in them.

    Please don't send me any spoilers; I'm just starting "Hallows" now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:34 PM

    The power of books to enchant, to transport, to connect is one of the true blessings of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Sue said, it's got our little one reading AND excited about books in general! A true blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by!

    Greg, there's a book called God and Harry Potter that looks points out the series is full of Christian imagery and symbolism. The author's website is hogwartsprofessor.com. It might be worth a look. I can't offer spoilers because I haven't read 7!

    Sue--Good ol' Nancy was on my shelf, too. I read my mother's copies and my own. Some she inherited, and they were full of interesting scribbles, doodles and notes. Part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the story about how the H.Potter books came into being....have you shared the challenges Rowling had getting the first one published with your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kuanyin,
    No, I haven't. I will. Thanks for mentioning it. Her success is an inspiration and a marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Books are a great blessing indeed. I have been a great fan of books of any kind for a long time now. Though, sadly, I have not been able to devote as much time to them as I would like to.

    Happy BYB Sunday and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neo, by your own account you've got the silverfish eating the words right out from under you!

    Thanks for stopping by! God bless your week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a big fan of HP and have earned the epithet 'Harry Potter Daasa' meaning, one who is devoted to Harry Potter.

    I think it is a great story told in a beautiful way. For millions of children and also many adults like myself, Harry Potter is a blessing. It has kindled imagination in an entire generation. Watch out for my post on it in my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.