Blog Your Blessings Sunday: Flower Fairies

Cicely Mary Barker's 1920 classic The Flower Fairies has been a long-standing blessing in my family's life. I bought the book when my daughter was three. I had fallen in love with the water colors, the beautiful design, and the pure fancy behind the creation of this brood of nature's caretakers, and I had hoped she would too. Happily, she did.

Over the years, we have traipsed through the woods and along streams and rivers looking for evidence of fairies. When my nephews join us, we also look for evidence of trolls. We have found plenty, and each child has spotted one or the other along our way.

Flower Fairies are tiny creatures that live in gardens. Whenever a seed sprouts, a Flower Fairy baby is born. Each Flower Fairy lives and sleeps in their chosen flower, plant or tree, and as this grows the fairy grows too. Each and every Flower Fairy is in charge of looking after their flower or plant; keeping it strong and healthy by making sure it has plenty of sunshine and water to drink, sweeping away dead leaves, and polishing flowers and stems, according to the Flower Fairies website.

Building fairy forts remains a beloved pastime here. Adella, her cousins, her friends, and our neighbors have fashioned entire complexes of fairy forts, fairy houses, fairy kitchens, and more. Once, they even brought clothespin fairy dolls to a neighbor's backyard--a child unknown to them still but who seems to share the same interest, if the little fairy wigwams are anything to go by.

The other day, Adella and I spent an hour tidying up the forts and remaking fairy salad (leaves, acorns, pine needles in even amounts) after heavy rains washed some of the work she and her friend had completed the day before. The fun of these endeavors--the real blessing, I think--is getting close to the ground and seeing the wonders of the world at and from that level. The roots of fallen trees become haunted universes, hollows in tree trunks become vast fairy castles, depressions in the ground formed by rainwater become dried riverbeds from ancient times. Even the pebbles carry the magic of the fairies. Everything is full of life, and everything is possible.

Kindred spirit: Beatrix Potter

Post a Comment

10 Comments

  1. I like flower fairies, but I am writing because your video on Earle's blog, Silence is Everything, blew me away!

    Thank you, dear friend.

    -Greg

    http://standingunderthesky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy BYB Sunday to you!

    The best part of growing up for me too was the time I spent in one with nature. I sometimes wonder how can the kids of today, who spend most of their time in front of the tv, computers or school books, appreciate the gift that nature is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy BYB Sunday. Thanks for stopping by. I have enjoyed your posts.

    joelsnyder.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Sandy! Thank you, and wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy BYB Sunday! I loved this post. Nature and all its beauty has a way of calming the soul and mending the heart. It is a great thing your daughter shares that joy with you and will pass it on to the next generation as well.
    :-) hugssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Fantastic! My mother, who often wonders where I get my interest in "ghosts" from, will tell you that she is 100% certain that she chased a fairy in Ontario through some woods near her home as a child... her memory of it is quite vivid and she insists (as an adult) that it was a real fairy...

    ...but my ghost stuff... that's just weird.

    Sue is enamoured with "wee folk" and fairies and our home is decorated with many of them in pictures and carvings... and reading your blessing, not only from the point of view of the wee folk, but in passing down a tradition like that, is just a fantastic thing to read...

    Thank you for your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this book, and it's one of my favorites too! Of course, I'm big into faeries, so I have practically every book written about them. :-) Faerie houses are fun to make, and on the side of our home, I have a faerie door. Have you seen them? BTW, my Blessing Post is now up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:39 PM

    I remember many hours I spent playing with nothing but pinecones, pine needles, shells, rocks and nuts.

    I love your story. An appreciation of the natural world is the greatest gift we can give our children.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:00 PM

    We have that book here too :)

    Happy BYB Sunday - have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm. i'll look out for that book since i'm on a personal quest to get off the pc more & do more reading

    oh wait... i'm online now ain't i. hmm...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.