Blog Your Blessings: Remembering Craig Lundwall



My daughter and I spent the day in the very good company of some very special people: first my parents and then friends who are the parents of a dear friend who died six years ago on April 8.

Craig Lundwall was a beautiful friend. We met in the eighth grade when we were in confirmation class together at the Danbury (Connecticut) United Methodist Church, the pastor of which at the time was another dear person, the Rev. Terry W. Pfeiffer.

Rev. Pfeiffer introduced us to the wonder, mystery, horror, and majesty of Holy Week when we were kids. He made palpable the truth of Jesus, whose commitment to the truth of love knew no bounds. At Craig's memorial service 21 years later, he opened up the wonder, mystery, horror, and majesty of God's hope through the Bible. He read so many passages that I was sure he would read the whole thing to the friends and family overflowing that room. I still see him in my mind's eye moving from book to book and reading and reading.

This image of a devout and deeply saddened man of God stepping among that cloud of witnesses to find comfort, wisdom, and strength stays with me. I think of that when I think of Craig, whose sorrow and pain were too great to keep him here, so he ran straight into the arms of God. There I believe he found the grace this world could not offer.

Though I knew him well, there was so much I didn't know. Realizing this and remembering it form a lesson in compassion. Craig's passing calls to my mind Patrick Pearse's last poem, "The Wayfarer," which contains the lines, "The beauty of the world has made me sad,/this beauty that will die and be no more...."

I created this little video in Craig's memory, in gratitude to him for the joy and comfor he brought me.

Post a Comment

8 Comments

  1. Anonymous12:29 AM

    What a beautiful memory you have created, so absolutely special.

    Wish I could see it playing on screens in churches, it has such a special quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:20 AM

    What a wonderful memory.

    Happy BYB Sunday - Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post in your friends memory!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:17 PM

    I can't help but remember Craig this time of year. He was a good friend, a true character, and one of those rare people who always could bring a smile to your face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:07 PM

    Craig was my cousin and I loved him very much. He was a smart, beloved, fun, kind, handsome and special part of our family. Thank you for this tribute to him. I'm sure it meant so much to my aunt and uncle as well. God Bless, Sharan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craig was my cousin. We were close as kids and I remember he liked to play a lot of jokes. I am sorry to have missed out on a relationship with him as an adult because my family tells me he was a good man. I still pray for my aunt and uncle. love and blessings...Regina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:56 PM

    I'm not sure how I found this but I'm glad I did. Craig was a great friend of mine who I'll always miss ... in particular around Christmas. He was a great person and very missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:25 PM

    Craig was My cousin......he had quite a few years on me , but none the less everytime i saw my cousin i could count on having a good time....its been seven years craig and not a day goes by that i dont think about you, you were truly one in a million, a lways willing to help anybody who could use a hand. you are and always will be missed ......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.